Page 139 of 233 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141149189 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,390 of 2322

Thread: Book Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    @JDD ... I recently listened to Gideon the Ninth and all I can say is that I'm very excited to continue the series. It was unlike anything I had read before and I thoroughly enjoyed the uniqueness of it... Weird and quirky in all the best ways.
    I picked it up on a friends recommendation, and you are right, just way out there, but in all the right ways. The only problem is Amazon's recommendation system does not really know what to make of it, because I can't ask for more that are weird like that one.

Quote Originally Posted by JDD View Post
    I picked it up on a friends recommendation, and you are right, just way out there, but in all the right ways. The only problem is Amazon's recommendation system does not really know what to make of it, because I can't ask for more that are weird like that one.
    I know what you mean... Hopefully the next book will be released soon.
    A quick bit of research looking for something similar suggested The Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake... At least in the Weirdness and Rich Language departments. I was not familiar with these books but they look well worth investigating.

Just finished listening to Suzanne Collins', A Balad of Songbirds and Snakes, which is a prequel to the Hunger Games series.

She does a good job when writing about the actual games. Intense and suspenseful, especially given that it's children who are doing the killing.

Rest of the story kind of meh. More teen romance than HG, which is not my cup of tea. From an audio book standpoint, the singing did not come off well, and there was a lot of it, one of the lead characters is a singer in a band.

Also, I hate fan service, like recent Star Wars movies have.
    For instance a group of people go to a pond, and sure enough one picks out a Katniss plant and talks about it.

The main point of the story though is following the future President Snow, in his teenage years. For 19 out of the 20 hours of the book he's likable, reasonable person. Then without a real good reason, he goes all evil.

Reminds me of how Danny's character was treated in Game of Thrones. Good until the last episode, then wtf?

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand

Connelly - The Concrete Blonde

Solid book, though brutal. Bosch’s genuine regard for and appreciation for women comes through, as does his refusal to accept easy answers regarding many social issues that remain pertinent today.
    Name:  FB9C3FD3-5FCE-45EF-B9F7-92EF4902791B.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  83.4 KB

Site Supporter
    Here are a few reviews of books I have listened to lately. I have also included their audio length.

Grant by Ron Chernow:

An excellent book about one of the more important Americans. The book follows Grant throughout his life and paints a picture of a complicated man, who was basically a decent man who was gullible in his personal life, but a brilliant leader in war. The biography gives us an idea of what the world was like for people during his lifetime, shows that people are basically the same despite when the live, and gives as a larger than life character that many of us can relate to.

Around 48 hours.

https://www.amazon.com/Grant-Ron-Che...e%2C153&sr=1-1

Relentless Strike by Sean Naylor

Another interesting read. This was recommended by Mike Vinning in the podcast I posted a few weeks ago. It tells the history of JSOC from their inception to the current day. Once again we learn that people are not all that different, even amongst the most elite and highly trained in the world. Overall I will say the book is very pro JSOC, but it is honest about the problems and shortcomings of it.

Around 20 hours.

https://www.amazon.com/Relentless-St...s%2C150&sr=8-1

Every Man a Hero by Ray Lambert and Jim DeFelice.

The story of an Army combat medic who landed in Africa, Sicily, and at Omaha Beach. Ray Lambert is the medic, and as far as I know it still alive. He is close to 100 years old. The book is not super detailed, but it tells the story of an “average joe” who went from growing up in the south and not finishing high school, to being a highly trained combat medic and saving lives in WW2. It’s told from the perspective of a humble man who did his duty. It goes well with other books about WW2 that are more detailed and strategy oriented.

Around 6-7 hours

https://www.amazon.com/Every-Man-Her...1480160&sr=8-1

Spearhead by Adam Makos

Tells the story of a tanker in WW2. The fight into Germany, and the reconnection with a German tanker from a very famous battle later in life. Videos of the battle are on youtube.

Around 13 hours

https://www.amazon.com/Spearhead-Ame...s%2C150&sr=8-1

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Here are a few reviews of books I have listened to lately. I have also included their audio length.
    Relentless Strike by Sean Naylor

Another interesting read. This was recommended by Mike Vinning in the podcast I posted a few weeks ago. It tells the history of JSOC from their inception to the current day. Once again we learn that people are not all that different, even amongst the most elite and highly trained in the world. Overall I will say the book is very pro JSOC, but it is honest about the problems and shortcomings of it.

Around 20 hours.

https://www.amazon.com/Relentless-St...s%2C150&sr=8-1
    Naylor is a good author - I highly recommend Not a Good Day to Die: The Untold Story of Operation Anaconda. I've since read several books that have added other voices and perspectives to the Anaconda story, but this remains the best single volume you can read on the subject.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    The only disturbing thing to me was the fact that Sandford has Davenport coming off somewhat sanctimonious about gun-control, which was surprising.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...70-masked-prey
    There's an underlying thread throughout the Prey series that's quasi anti-gun. Davenport is said to have been a competitive handgun shooter, has had several line of duty shoots and is leery of civilians in the 'gun culture.' He also has had problems with depression and in one book speaks of 'feeling' the guns in the basement safe "glowing." As in, the guns were calling to him.

He writes some decent shooting scenes, in his books he and his adoptive daughter go shooting and he teaches her how to handle handguns. The adoptive daughter ends up saving her Mom (a very liberal surgeon) and brothers through the use of one of his 1911's in another book. Probably a realistic tone for a multi-millionaire author in Minnesota.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Just finished listening to Suzanne Collins', A Balad of Songbirds and Snakes, which is a prequel to the Hunger Games series.
    /

The main point of the story though is following the future President Snow, in his teenage years. For 19 out of the 20 hours of the book he's likable, reasonable person. Then without a real good reason, he goes all evil.
    He had a good enough reason, I thought. He seemed a decent sort until, without giving too much of the plot away, he was screwed by people he was trying to help. So he said to hell with all of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any recommendations for a book to read for a college student that may be applicable to the events of the day? This is a hell of a year with coronavirus, protesters and looters, and now calls to defund police departments of all things. Brave New World perhaps? I'm looking for something that said college student has to read and discuss with dear old dad since college student is unemployed and likely to remain so through the summer. No one is looking to hire an employee for 2.5 months, and I wish to "employ" said college student in expanding the mind.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Any recommendations for a book to read for a college student that may be applicable to the events of the day? This is a hell of a year with coronavirus, protesters and looters, and now calls to defund police departments of all things. Brave New World perhaps? I'm looking for something that said college student has to read and discuss with dear old dad since college student is unemployed and likely to remain so through the summer. No one is looking to hire an employee for 2.5 months, and I wish to "employ" said college student in expanding the mind.
    Name:  pandemic 1918.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  27.2 KB

Name:  plague year.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  33.3 KB

The latter book is free for e-readers.

"Rise of the Warrior Cop" by Rodney Balko.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List