Page 220 of 235 FirstFirst ... 120170210218219220221222230 ... LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,200 of 2342

Thread: Book Recommendations

For all you Monster Hunter International fans out there, I just finished the eARC of Monster Hunter Memoirs: Fever. Damn good book.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    My sister has a corgi named Ffred (she's said it's the Welsh spelling, according to no sources she's found). Ffred has one eye that is surrounded by tan fur and one that is surrounded by white fur.

One of her neighbors is an artist who, among other things, does book covers. For the Port Sunset mystery series, the covers all feature a dog that shot of looks like Ffred. The artist admitted that it's not exactly Ffred, so they don't have to buy the rights to his image. My sister read the books and said they're decent.

So I read one. It's actually a pretty decent light mystery. There's a tad of romance, but not a lot. Now I'm on book #4.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Tiger-Vengean...t%2C107&sr=1-1

The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival by John Vaillant.

Nonfiction account of a gigantic Siberian (Amur) tiger as serial killer in the almost unbelievable setting of the post-Soviet Russian Far East. Not to be missed.

Thank you.
    I just downloaded this book to my Kindle through my library system's "Overdrive" portal. Looking forward to starting it this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    My sister has a corgi named Ffred (she's said it's the Welsh spelling, according to no sources she's found). Ffred has one eye that is surrounded by tan fur and one that is surrounded by white fur.

One of her neighbors is an artist who, among other things, does book covers. For the Port Sunset mystery series, the covers all feature a dog that shot of looks like Ffred. The artist admitted that it's not exactly Ffred, so they don't have to buy the rights to his image. My sister read the books and said they're decent.

So I read one. It's actually a pretty decent light mystery. There's a tad of romance, but not a lot. Now I'm on book #4.
    For a buck on Kindle I’ll try it.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    For all you Monster Hunter International fans out there, I just finished the eARC of Monster Hunter Memoirs: Fever. Damn good book.
    I just started on this today and I'm enjoying it so far. The MHI main storyline is great, but in many ways I found the Ringo-authored Memoirs books to be the best of the series. Hope this is similarly good.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I just started on this today and I'm enjoying it so far. The MHI main storyline is great, but in many ways I found the Ringo-authored Memoirs books to be the best of the series. Hope this is similarly good.
    Agreed. I’m a huge fan of most of Ringo’s stuff. His Memoirs are some of his best.

I’d say (based on this sample of one), that Ringo’s Memoirs have a slight edge. But not much.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I just finished "A man at Arms" by Steven Pressfield. I didn't like it. I think mostly because I just couldn't give a shit about any of the characters. I think it's one of the few books of his that isn’t written from a 1st person perspective.

I have loved every other book of his that I have read "Killing Rommel" "The Afghan Campaign" "The Profession" "Last of the Amazons" and have read "Gates of Fire" a handful of times. I guess I didn't care much for "Virtues of War" as the ego of Alexander the Great was hard to connect with.

I'm a bit bummed as he's one of my favorite authors and just kept on reading hoping that it would get better.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dogcaller View Post
    East of Eden by John Steinbeck. A great read.
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    East of Eden is my all time favorite. I think it is the pinnacle of English prose.
    East of Eden was a great book but a horrible experience for me. It legitimately depressed me in the way only really good writing can. I had to read some fluffy bullshit afterward to break out of it.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    For a buck on Kindle I’ll try it.
    I enjoyed the first one and got the second. Thanks Stephanie!
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Tiger-Vengean...t%2C107&sr=1-1

The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival by John Vaillant.

Nonfiction account of a gigantic Siberian (Amur) tiger as serial killer in the almost unbelievable setting of the post-Soviet Russian Far East. Not to be missed.
    I was rooting for the tiger..........
    Don’t just sit there – do something short sighted and stupid!

User Tag List