Page 109 of 234 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119159209 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 2338

Thread: Book Recommendations

I just finished the first 2 in "The Remaining" series. I have the next 2 on order at the public library.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...s%2C-1&sr=8-16

My love of Post Apocalyptic Novels began years ago with "Alas Babylon" and "Malevil"

https://www.amazon.com/Alas-Babylon-...%2C2129&sr=1-2

https://www.amazon.com/Malevil/dp/B0...t%2C631&sr=1-1

Every time I read one of these books I want to go buy more guns and ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    My love of Post Apocalyptic Novels began years ago with "Alas Babylon" and "Malevil"
    That was required reading in junior high. I had the paperback up until relatively recently when I donated it to a library.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I read Malcom Gladwell's "Outliers" and enjoyed it. It's a good companion to "Talent is Overrated" and goes beyond the 10,000 hours of practice to also examine the factors external to the individual that lead to incredible success. Cultural legacy, being born at the right time, having the right resources, etc. I enjoyed it enough I nearly finished it in a day.
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 11-26-2019 at 06:37 PM.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    I listened to the abridged version of this book over the last day or two. It was referenced up thread. Name:  FCDDC9E6-441C-4BAC-8320-D4AD0038CCAA.jpeg
Views: 432
Size:  40.6 KB

Not a lot of surprises here, except I’d never known there was explicit discussion in some government circles about strategies they knew and expected would lead to eventual US loss and withdrawal and a collapse of South Vietnam, ie what we got; they felt such an outcome could still be a “win.” Good book and I appreciate the recommendation.
    Last edited by Medusa; 11-26-2019 at 07:35 PM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Allow me to go off on the other direction and say how much I've come to despise the works of John Le Carré. I picked up Absolute Friends and I'm finding it to be damn near unreadable. I keep wondering if a given chapter is ever going to get to the frigging point.

He must be paid by the word.

If I was back where I had private land to shoot on, I'd have used the damn book for target practice.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 11-29-2019 at 08:14 PM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Allow me to go off on the other direction and say how much I've come to despise the works of John Le Carré. I picked up Absolute Friends and I'm finding it to be damn near unreadable. I keep wondering if a given chapter is ever going to get to the frigging point.

He must be paid by the word.

If I was back where I had private land to shoot on, I'd have used the damn book for target practice.

That's how I feel about Stephen King.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QPHNUFO...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

$2.00 a Day: Living on Almost Nothing in America

The book is essentially a series of looks into various kinds of poverty, urban vs rural, recently fell on hard times vs generations of poverty, etc. The common factor is every family in the book is surviving on less than $2/day per person in cash income from both legal and illegal sources. The researches spent years getting to know the families and have information that, while they realize is likely incomplete, is a more complete picture then anyone would tell a census worker or social worker. The book is sympathetic to the poor but does not gloss over bad decision making, vice, etc. It also paints Bill Clinton in a bad light, which I always enjoy. (I swear I'm not seeking out books that bash Clinton on purpose, I had no idea he'd be mentioned in this one...but it's always welcome because fuck that guy).

The book offers some solutions, although I think perhaps they are over optimistic with some of their plans. I'll not go into detail since that'll likely turn the book thread into a social safety net debate thread. I think many folks would be surprised at some of the solutions offered and how the current welfare system is viewed, though.

It's a tough book to say "enjoyed" but I found it interesting and worth the read.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    I finished this today.

{Fields of Fire: A Novel - Kindle edition by James Webb. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ AmazonSmile.}

I think if I’d read this when I first started studying Vietnam decades ago, I’d have a better impression of it. I want to give the author credit for doing first what later books like Matterhorn, or Sympathy with the Devil, have done far better, and far less self consciously. As it is, I think it’s a completist’s read, not an essential one on this war.
    https://twitter.com/@twitter/status/789952798515339264
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Allow me to go off on the other direction and say how much I've come to despise the works of John Le Carre.
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    That's how I feel about Stephen King.
    I am D.W. Drang, and I endorse both these opinions.

Similarly...

AmazonSmile: The Ghost Mountain Boys: Their Epic March and the Terrifying Battle for New Guinea--The Forgotten War of the South Pacific (9780307335975): James Campbell: Books

Book about an unknown/forgotten/ignored campaign in WWII, by a guy who clearly knows jack/shit about the military, and isn't afraid to let his ignorance get in the way of telling the story. I got a few chapters into it, and got so sick of the endless bashing of Military leadership for failing to predict that there would some day be a campaign in the jungles and mountains of Papua New Guinea and developing the appropriate tactics and techniques, and fielding the appropriate equipment for same, in advance...

...And, oh, by the way, the National Guard sucks, that bunch of politically-motivated cronies who just joined for the money...

...Anyway, the King County Library got it back early.

YMMV.

@Joe in PNG
    Last edited by Drang; 11-30-2019 at 12:52 AM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Just started On Desperate Ground by Hampton Sides last night. It's the story of the battle of Chosin Reservoir during the Korean War.

I've read several books non-fiction books by Sides over the years and he doesn't disappoint. I expect no less from this volume.

User Tag List