Page 29 of 235 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I ordered American Gods and started reading it yesterday. Part of the fun for me so far is googling the names as they come up.
    I had no idea a movie was coming out. Ian ("Lovejoy", "Al Sweringen") McShane is either Mr. Wednesday or Lyesmith. I expect this will be one of the few first run movies we see in the theater, HH6 was a huge Lovejoy fan.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I ordered American Gods and started reading it yesterday. Part of the fun for me so far is googling the names as they come up.
    I've read that one twice and lent it out several times. Pick up Ocean if you enjoy American Gods.

Site Supporter
    Golden Prey - about Lucas Davenport, mentioned above. It's ok so far. Interestingly 'tactics' issue about watching too much TV and shouting a warning before opening fire on incredibly obvious lethal threat. Pretty positive SD incident portrayal with a 10/22 and extended magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I've read that one twice and lent it out several times. Pick up Ocean if you enjoy American Gods.
    Yepp I plan to. I'm really liking American Gods
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Red Rising by Pierce Brown. Immensely entertaining and a very quick read. Its a trilogy.

Site Supporter
    Finished Golden Prey. Spoilers below

It's ok. The villains are not as compelling as some of Lucas' best and there is not a sense of tension to catch them. They are bad but not the psychopathic monsters that Lucas crosses path with.

The interesting twist is more in Lucas' job. In the previous book, where Lucas prevented the assassination of a presidential candidate who was a Hillary type, he lost his Minnesota job and the Hillary type offered him a job as a US Marshal to do 'hard' jobs for her as president. So the author was setting up the next book for him to be a secret agent type on the Federal level and interact with the Hillary (who thought he was hot). Oops - she lost and the book mentions her failure to carry the states that HRC lost. So the author seems to be altering that path for Lucas to be a Marshal based in Minnesota and probably not have big deal presidential level skullduggery. Oh, well. I guess Mitch Rapp will have to do that kind of thing. Mist be a bummer to have a series of stories trashed.

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    I had no idea a movie was coming out. Ian ("Lovejoy", "Al Sweringen") McShane is either Mr. Wednesday or Lyesmith. I expect this will be one of the few first run movies we see in the theater, HH6 was a huge Lovejoy fan.
    Well.

It's not a theatrical release, it's a Starz (and Amazon?) series. Starts tomorrow, April 30.

Ad Ian McShane is Mr. Wednesday.
    Last edited by Drang; 04-29-2017 at 09:37 AM.
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Yepp I plan to. I'm really liking American Gods
    I finished Anansi Brothers. Meh. The first third is much better than the rest of the book. I hit a point I was no longer invested in the characters and the story was bland. I finished it, and it did pick back up a bit, but the book isn't a patch on American Gods or Ocean...
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 04-29-2017 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I finished Anansi Brothers. Meh. The first third is much better than the rest of the book. I hit a point I was no longer invested in the characters and the story was bland. I finished it, and it did pick back up a bit, but the book isn't a patch on American Gods or Ocean...
    Concur.
    Glenn Reynolds

I preordered Craig & Fred: A Marine, A Stray Dog, and How They Rescued Each Other for my Kindle. I follow them on FB at Fred the Afghan. Short story is Craig a Marine rescued Fred, a stray dog, from Afghanistan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V74Jr9WuaLg&sns=em
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List