Page 222 of 235 FirstFirst ... 122172212220221222223224232 ... LastLast
Results 2,211 to 2,220 of 2342

Thread: Book Recommendations

I haven't read the entire thread but searched and only found one mention of Nelson DeMille. He's hands down my favorite author for leisure reading. For more weighty stuff I really liked Leon Uris, especially Mila 18, and James Michener, The Source being my favorite. It can be tough to wade through the first hundred pages detailing the regional geology of the subject area in Michener's books but it's educational.

Quote Originally Posted by DMCutter View Post
    I haven't read the entire thread but searched and only found one mention of Nelson DeMille. He's hands down my favorite author for leisure reading. For more weighty stuff I really liked Leon Uris, especially Mila 18, and James Michener, The Source being my favorite. It can be tough to wade through the first hundred pages detailing the regional geology of the subject area in Michener's books but it's educational.
    I've read at least some of the offerings by each of those authors...and have enjoyed them.

Mila 18 was a powerful book read during my teen years.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I've read at least some of the offerings by each of those authors...and have enjoyed them.

Mila 18 was a powerful book read during my teen years.
    Mila 18 was what got me into owning weapons.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Finish the Collector by Daniel Silva. A Gabriel Allon book about a convoluted Ukraine/Russia plot. A touch far fetched by a super competent Allon and friends but not totally unrealistic. Good read and moves well. Love Allon as a character. Makes me want to buy a Beretta 92. He does carry in small of the back - maybe it's an Israeli secret agent thing but it's chambered and good to go. He is a lightning draw and is a supernatural marksman. Also, great H2H guy for a middle aged gent with a back back.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

I picked up the first book in the Bobiverse series We are Legion (We Are Bob).
    So far, I like it.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

The Longmire Defense. No spirits or witchcraft or any of that stuff. Just good old crime and corruption. Much better than the last few books.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    The Longmire Defense. No spirits or witchcraft or any of that stuff. Just good old crime and corruption. Much better than the last few books.
    I'm starting it later tonight. I've been saving it for the long weekend we're taking out in Eastern Oregon.

The feedback he received about the supernatural/spiritual elements of the last couple books has been really polarized. People either loved it or hated it.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I picked up the first book in the Bobiverse series We are Legion (We Are Bob).
    So far, I like it.
    That series has a clever premise and storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I'm starting it later tonight. I've been saving it for the long weekend we're taking out in Eastern Oregon.

The feedback he received about the supernatural/spiritual elements of the last couple books has been really polarized. People either loved it or hated it.
    I thought those belonged in the SF/Fantasy section. Especially with time-travelling back a century or so.

I still think that Johnson should collaborate with James Burke on a Longmire/Robicheaux mashup. Both VN vets, both rocking 1911s.

Name:  IMG_4075.jpeg
Views: 436
Size:  58.4 KB

User Tag List