Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Most reliable .22 pistol?

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar

Question Most reliable .22 pistol?

In the M&P Compact...22 thread, at least three people told of 22/45's that just keep running, and running, and running.

Is this the gold standard for reliability in a .22 pistol, or does anything beat it?

Just to be clear, I don't mean reliable as in, "It's perfect for amphibious assaults."
    I mean, "When I take it to the range, I can shoot a ton of rounds without malfunctions. And there's no need to clean it every 100 rounds."

If nothing beats the 22/45 for pure reliability, what pistols come in 2nd or 3rd place? And how big a gap is there between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd?
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

I have no first hand experience with them but I've seen excellent results from the CZ Kadet .22LR upper for CZ 75's.

My Rugers (Mark II and Mark III) were and are very reliable. My Browning Buckmark was a jam-o-matic.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    In the M&P Compact...22 thread, at least three people told of 22/45's that just keep running, and running, and running.
    Is this the gold standard for reliability in a .22 pistol, or does anything beat it?

Just to be clear, I don't mean reliable as in, "It's perfect for amphibious assaults."
    I mean, "When I take it to the range, I can shoot a ton of rounds without malfunctions. And there's no need to clean it every 100 rounds."

If nothing beats the 22/45 for pure reliability, what pistols come in 2nd or 3rd place? And how big a gap is there between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd?
    That has been my experience. The only other .22 autos I have are 1911 conversions and the GSG 1911. The conversions are okay, specifically the Wilson (Marvel) as long as I feed them CCI MM's. The GSG has been pretty reliable but I haven't shot it in cold weather. It feeds WalMart bulk fine though. The .22/45 Mark II just plain runs.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

My Dad has a 22/45 that probably has over 100k rounds thru it between him, my brother and I. It is probably the most reliable gun we collectively own.

Quote Originally Posted by mizer67 View Post
    I have no first hand experience with them but I've seen excellent results from the CZ Kadet .22LR upper for CZ 75's.
    Completely agree right there. CZ Kadet or conversion though not cheap are absolutely awesome. Especially if you run one as a primary. I know a lot of people look down on CZ but they are fantastic pistols. I had a chance to shoot one suppressed and unsupressed with a good friend while while in Europe and it ran like a raped ape despite being absolutely filthy. The only thing I've ever noted with the one that I owned was that keeping up with the mags, i.e. clean and or new was imperative to keeping it running well.

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    My Rugers (Mark II and Mark III) were and are very reliable. My Browning Buckmark was a jam-o-matic.
    This is counter to my experience. I and several others have always had excellent luck with the Browning Buckmark. In fact, I work part-time at a range with a Buckmark in the rental case. That thing's nasty and keeps on ticking. Personally, I've moved from the Buckmark to an M&P22 and it's been great so far (roughly 1 year) as well!

Once broken in (and that took about 400 rounds and a trip to Ruger) my Mk III 22/45 has been an exceptionally reliable performer, with both standard and high velocity .22 LR ammunition.

Best, Jon

I think someone (GJM?) reported that Bill Rogers has laid down serious volume with the M&P .22 pistols at the school very successfully.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    My personal experience between Rugers and Buckmarks has been overwhelmingly positive with both. I've also shot a Walther P22 and thought it to be a decent piece, although the accuracy left something to be desired (or I should say MY accuracy with it). The Sig Mosquito, I have so very desperately wanted to like, but 3 separate pistols wound up being a total turd for me. I've never met a Sig Mosquito that I didn't somehow terminally disable (to the dismay of my friend who once owned a Mosquito...emphasis on the past tense). Maybe my sample size of 3 Sigs that simply stopped working before a magazine was empty is too small, but on an individual basis, I was shocked. Twice, the magazine utterly failed (fell apart), and once the trigger just up and died after the first DA pull. There was a snap, and the gun was just done.

Of course...a Smith 617 or K-22 will eat 550 round boxes, cylinder at a time.

User Tag List