Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most reliable .22 pistol?

I've found ammunition critical to both reliability and accuracy. I wasn't impressed with bulk pack results out of my 22/45, but it shoots very well when I feed it Eley Edge. Then again, I much prefer the price of bulk pack to Eley...
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

My Ruger Mark 2 eats anything I put into it. I had purchased my son a SR-22 that ran very well although he did have feed issues mostly related to the previous craptastic runs of Remington Golden Bullet, Failure To Seat The Magazine, and limp wristing. We sold the SR22 and bought a M&P 22 which has ran very well so far.

While my H&R 999 and S&W 17-5 will shoot anything, the 17-5 is in serious need of having the chambers reamed or polished. We shoot a local variant of the NSSF Rimfire Challenge which typically has four stages with four strings of pistol and four strings of rifle. Minimum round count for the pistols is eighty rounds. We just started shooting the Steel Challenge which has a minimum round count of 150 at our club. Those round counts are per gun.

The current difficulties of acquiring .22LR ammo have forced me to run whatever I can get my hands on for us both to be able to continue to shoot. So far I've used the new Remington Golden Bullet, Federal Automatch, Federal Champion, Aguila subsonic, Armscorp, Aguila Standard Velocity, Sellior & Bellot HV HP, Winchester White Box and probably a couple of others. The Mark 2 and the 10/22 digest anything and everything. So far the M&P has as well. I have to use a pocket knife to tap the ejector rod on the 17-5 to extract the S&B.
    YMMV
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

I've found my SR22 to be as reliable as the ammo I feed it. It eats bulk packs with no weapon-based malfunctions. I much prefer it to the Beretta Neos I had but only because I found the SR22 to be more accurate.

I would not hesitate to buy a SR22 if the need arose to purchase another .22 pistol.
    Using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    My browning Buckmark has seen about 2-3, maybe 4k rounds in its life. Using the same magazine. It's never had an FTF or FTE that I remember.

That being said I've had a lot of failures to fire. I also shoot the cheapest ammo available. Federal or Remington bulk packs. That being said, she hasn't been shot by me since before Sandy hook. I can't find affordable 22LR still.

My 22/45 eats everything, bulk, standard velocity, and even 60gr subsonics. A $10 Volquartzen or Power Custom extractor ensures a vacant chamber

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post

While my H&R 999 and S&W 17-5 will shoot anything, the 17-5 is in serious need of having the chambers reamed or polished.

YMMV
    There are some threads in the Smith forum about doing this. I bought the recommended reamer and did it myself in about an hour(10 shot version). It did significantly improve the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Spr1 View Post
    There are some threads in the Smith forum about doing this. I bought the recommended reamer and did it myself in about an hour(10 shot version). It did significantly improve the gun.
    I've spent a bit of time reviewing that info, I'm not too keen on sticking a dowel wrapped in sandpaper in the chambers as suggested in some of the threads. There is actually a polishing tool for that specific purpose but I can't find one for the .22 LR chambers, only .22 Mag and larger calibers.

Is this what you used?

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...prod41705.aspx
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    My MkII 22/45 turned 20 years old this year. I've been extremely pleased with it. My experience with other 22LR pistols is very limited though.
    Similar for me. I bought a 5" 22/45 soon after they came out and am probably close to or over 100K rounds. Two things cause it to malfunction. Inserting the magazine at the wrong angle which jacks up the first round and using Remington Golden Bullets. Otherwise it's pretty much flawless.

ETA - My brother in law has a Walther P22 that couldn't get through a mag until I did a detail strip and followed an online guide in modifying parts and polishing to improve reliabilty. Now it works fine with most ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    I've spent a bit of time reviewing that info, I'm not too keen on sticking a dowel wrapped in sandpaper in the chambers as suggested in some of the threads. There is actually a polishing tool for that specific purpose but I can't find one for the .22 LR chambers, only .22 Mag and larger calibers.

Is this what you used?

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...prod41705.aspx
    I believe it was the revolver finish reamer in that listing. I will confirm the part number tonight.

I never saw the sandpaper threads. That would be nuts.

Semi auto wise, both the SR22 and GSG 1911 22 I had both shot great, were accurate, and had no malfunctions. I wouldn't hesitate to pickup either again.

User Tag List