Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for bedside gun safe

Quote Originally Posted by bornandraisedlv View Post
    I currently have one of the gunvaults but I am soon going to update to a fas1 safe and then switch to an abloy lock as they are very hard to pic, from what I've read.

http://products.fas1safe.com/product...1&categoryId=1

http://www.ghlocks.com/sell-665756-h...l#.V1zIm_RHanO

Hi guys, I just registered as a member and saw this thread. Thanks bornandraisedlv for considering a FAS1 safe in the future. I just wanted to chime in and let you know that while the Abloy lock is a great product, it will not work in our application. It's only available with one key pull and we use two. With the Abloy you can only remove the key in the locked position.

That being said we looked hard to find a suitable lock. Remember, we were looking for enhanced security by being able to deadbolt the push-button lock when quick access isn't desired. This isn't just a cheap lock like most electronic handgun safes use for a backup entry. They purchase a lock for that reason only and their purchase is based on cost. All electronic safes need a backup key for when the electronics fail to open the safe.

The backup entry function is just a side benefit. Here is a link to the Camlock T8 lock that we are using showing all the great features this lock offers.

http://www.camlock.com/en-uk/extra-s...lock-series-t8

After doing some research which included referring to this thread I decided to go with one in the same class as the Ft Knox safe with a lot of the same features. The handle and the supposed ease of changing the combination convinced me that this was the right one for me. The reviews at this site also mention other safes in the same class with the same type of lock. Ability and difficulty to change the combination however seems to vary.

https://www.amazon.com/Stealth-Origi...l+handgun+safe
    Last edited by Dddrees; 06-14-2016 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
    Hi guys, I just registered as a member and saw this thread. Thanks bornandraisedlv for considering a FAS1 safe in the future. I just wanted to chime in and let you know that while the Abloy lock is a great product, it will not work in our application. It's only available with one key pull and we use two. With the Abloy you can only remove the key in the locked position.

That being said we looked hard to find a suitable lock. Remember, we were looking for enhanced security by being able to deadbolt the push-button lock when quick access isn't desired. This isn't just a cheap lock like most electronic handgun safes use for a backup entry. They purchase a lock for that reason only and their purchase is based on cost. All electronic safes need a backup key for when the electronics fail to open the safe.

The backup entry function is just a side benefit. Here is a link to the Camlock T8 lock that we are using showing all the great features this lock offers.

http://www.camlock.com/en-uk/extra-s...lock-series-t8
    Thanks for the info!! Will be ordering in the next 3 - 4 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am also in need of a "bedside" pistol safe. I have bought into the the simple is better for middle of the night dazed and confused grab your pistol scenario. IE...punching in a code while someone is kicking down your door, your wife is screaming, and you can't remember your name because you were woken out of a deep sleep is a recipe for disaster. Is this a valid concern? I definitely see a benefit to to "stick your finger in this hole" and BAM! you have access to your gun as opposed to punch in a 4 digit code and then turn this knob.

So I assumed that biometric was the way to go. My dad bought one brand and it did not work well (can't remember what brand) now he has a LokSAF and so far is happy with it after a few years of use. But I know that finger scanners are not fool proof.

However I work in the electronics field and understand that batteries die and can be unreliable, ESD/EMI could be a concern, and generally am wary about trusting my life to electronics unless I know the design is sound. So what is the best option?
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    I am also in need of a "bedside" pistol safe. I have bought into the the simple is better for middle of the night dazed and confused grab your pistol scenario. IE...punching in a code while someone is kicking down your door, your wife is screaming, and you can't remember your name because you were woken out of a deep sleep is a recipe for disaster. Is this a valid concern? I definitely see a benefit to to "stick your finger in this hole" and BAM! you have access to your gun as opposed to punch in a 4 digit code and then turn this knob.

So I assumed that biometric was the way to go. My dad bought one brand and it did not work well (can't remember what brand) now he has a LokSAF and so far is happy with it after a few years of use. But I know that finger scanners are not fool proof.

However I work in the electronics field and understand that batteries die and can be unreliable, ESD/EMI could be a concern, and generally am wary about trusting my life to electronics unless I know the design is sound. So what is the best option?
    I got the sentry code one. Change the batteries every six months and it has a back up key option

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I got the sentry code one. Change the batteries every six months and it has a back up key option
    Funny, I was just watching the video on Amazon about that one. I definitely like the price and lit keypad and biometric scanner.

A friend recommended the Liberty Smart Vault. I like the Liberty name and quality but that is just over my budget. I am a little disappointed that they only use 14ga steel for the door. But they do have the anti-pry feature.
    Last edited by Irelander; 06-17-2016 at 09:42 AM.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Funny, I was just watching the video on Amazon about that one. I definitely like the price and lit keypad and biometric scanner.

A friend recommended the Liberty Smart Vault. I like the Liberty name and quality but that is just over my budget. I am a little disappointed that they only use 14ga steel for the door. But they do have the anti-pry feature.
    Should have it from Amazon next week. I'll let u know what I think. I didn't get the bio feature, heard too many horror stories of blood or sweat messing it up

I initially purchased that from Cabellas and it does have a power adapter as well as a battery. To get to the admin button to change the biometric code you follow a strip of paper into the cubby hole. Anyway I was unable to get the finger print thing to work. I returned it and decided to go with the push button lock instead.

I want to put in a plug for V-line. I have been using several of them for almost 25 years now. They are in the exact same shape today as they were when I bought them. It's called a simplex lock for a reason :-)

As far as using under stress, the best way to use them is to open them at night when you go to bed. Then, you just grab your gun as needed and go. When you get up from bed, just close and lock the box so no one can get to it when you are not there. I don't actually do this, because I have a specific system base don my room and family, but assuming a standard bed and night table set up, this works well.

If you prefer to leave it locked while you sleep, another option is to program the buttons based on index. First of all, you don't need to use all of the buttons, and you can select buttons and combinations based on how you handle the box. This makes it much easier to open with your eyes closed, with one hand, under stress.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    In addition to the V-line, check out the Shot Lock.

Also a mechanical combo, and they make them for shotguns and AR15s too.
    I've been looking at the Shot Lock. There's lots to like, but I actually wish it didn't have the key override. (Since that can be picked.)

I admit I'm probably overthinking it.

User Tag List