Page 56 of 57 FirstFirst ... 64654555657 LastLast

Thread: The Islamic State

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MDS View Post
    Wait, I'm even more confused now. We should stop being pantywaists.... by disengaging and rendering less of an opinion?
    Despite the snark, you know that wasn't hard to follow.

Outside the potential for bad stuff happening to Israel, the unraveling and mutual destruction on both sides (Suuni and Shia ) is wrought with schadenfreude for me. Leading from behind is a fuckin awful strategy, but seeing as it's all we've got right now, I'm endeavoring to look for some upside.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Despite the snark, you know that wasn't hard to follow.

Outside the potential for bad stuff happening to Israel, the unraveling and mutual destruction on both sides (Suuni and Shia ) is wrought with schadenfreude for me. Leading from behind is a fuckin awful strategy, but seeing as it's all we've got right now, I'm endeavoring to look for some upside.

[emoji14]
    No snark intended. I'm genuinely confused how leading from behind makes us less of a pantywaist. You'll remember my question was in response to a post that said there were various effective things we could be doing in the middle East, that we needed to man up and do them. Then I'm told those manly things are too disengage and have fewer opinions. I still don't understand a) how that's manly at all; nor b) how does that move our interests forward. For the latter question, it might help if we were sure to agree on exactly what our interests are.....
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Site Supporter
    the unraveling and mutual destruction on both sides (Suuni and Shia ) is wrought with schadenfreude for me. Leading from behind is a fuckin awful strategy, but seeing as it's all we've got right now, I'm endeavoring to look for some upside.

Sorry for quoting myself but I forgot to include Obama on my schadenfreude list...

So Arab Countries Can Clean Up Their Own Messes Without (Crazy) Uncle Sugar!

The United States is now too crazy to be trusted—in the Middle East! That's right. In a region long plagued by byzantine ploys, duplicity, fanaticism, ageless feuds, and seemingly irrational behavior, the United States government has emerged as the craziest guy in the room. American behavior has become so unreliable, that U.S. officials are apparently being cut out of the loop as the locals look for solutions on their own.

That's probably a better result than we'd have any right to expect had we actually...you know...planned it out ourselves.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

The United States is now too crazy to be trusted—in the Middle East! That's right. In a region long plagued by byzantine ploys, duplicity, fanaticism, ageless feuds, and seemingly irrational behavior, the United States government has emerged as the craziest guy in the room. American behavior has become so unreliable, that U.S. officials are apparently being cut out of the loop as the locals look for solutions on their own.

That's probably a better result than we'd have any right to expect had we actually...you know...planned it out ourselves.
    For some reason this synopsis amuses the hell out of me.

US foreign policy in the middle east is approaching it's "Tony Montana in Act 3 of Scarface" phase.

I choose to believe this was carefully planned and cunningly executed.

Site Supporter

ISIS and Taliban declare Jihad against each other

If this is true, I find it absolutely hilarious for some reason.

http://www.mintpressnews.com/isis-ta...-other/204634/

So far, ISIS has managed to make nearly everybody mad at them, and as one of their more interesting feats, has brought Sunni and Shiite militias together to fight them. Now they've declared jihad against the Taliban. This just makes me giggle.

Yeah, they are definitely on the road to world domination.

What retards.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Now they've declared jihad against the Taliban.
    Reminded me of this from a couple days ago -- 35 killed, 125 wounded by suicide bomber at a Kabul Bank branch in Nangarhar Province, attributed to a local affiliate of ISIS by Afghan president Ashraf Ghani. Haven't seen whether there's been any independent confirmation of that yet.

In other news, today's ISIS fun fact of the day brought to you by CNN in an article discussing everyday life under ISIS:

Foosball can be played, provided there is no gambling and the faces or heads are taken off the figurines to prevent idol worship.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post

Now they've declared jihad against the Taliban. This just makes me giggle.
    Even the enemy has bureaucracy problems. Now, where'd I put that quantum-particle sized violin at......
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

User Tag List