Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Match barrels for extended range pistol accuracy?

Match barrels for extended range pistol accuracy?

I was watching some videos from a top trainer recently and he recommended match barrels for handguns to attain greater accuracy at say 50+ yards. He was making good hits at around 80 yards with a G19 fitted with a match barrel. He didn't say they were necessary but that they definitely help.

I tend not to replace anything in my Glock that is not broken as I trust the factory components more than aftermarket stuff. But what do you guys think about replacement barrels? Can greater accuracy be squeezed out of a Glock with a KKM drop-in or the like? Does this negatively affect reliability? I do like the idea of being able to use cast bullets for range ammo using a standard land and groove barrel.

What are your experiences with replacement barrels?

First let me say that I have personally never purchased an after market match barrel. However, I have acquaintances that have done so for both Glock and M&P pistols. They did not seem to see any major changes, for the better, in their shooting results. I have several pistols with "match grade" barrels and they are reliable and accurate, but so are my other pistols. That having been said, unless you are well above the average shooter/competitor, and will be making long range shots (35 yards plus) frequently, I would submit that a factory barrel would be sufficient for most shooters. There are, however, defects in all classes of parts, barrels included. That might necessitate or encourage replacement with an after market upgrade.

I've not had ready occasion to shoot a pistol beyond 25yds, but I do shoot regularly (weekly) for groups at 25. I have a KKM drop-in barrel in one of my 17's and a factory barrel in the other. Ammo makes 10X the difference in accuracy as the barrel does. The barrel MIGHT help wring out that extra little bit, but if accuracy at distance was my primary concern, I'd take the $200 you'd spend on the barrel and spend $100 on practice ammo to make you a better shooter and the other $100 on match-grade ammo to test your improvement.

*Worth noting that the only reason I have the KKM is because I needed a threaded barrel for my suppressor and found a deal on a threaded barrel that happened to be a KKM.

Here is another lengthy thread on replacement barrels.

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...-amp-P-barrels

I would tend to agree with the shooter in the video (Defoor).

Lockup is the key to accuracy. A drop in barrel is a crap shoot whether or not you'll see an improvement based primarily on how good the fit is overall.

I had a semi-drop in Storm Lake barrel that made no difference at all in accuracy in an M&P 40.

My G17, with a fitted Jarvis barrel, was capable of shooting a 1.38" 10-round group at 25 yards, that's about half of stock. My experience is with this barrel installed is that over tens of thousands of rounds I haven't experienced any reliability issues despite the tighter fit and chamber.

It's really up to you to decide if it's worth it to you. I find it more interesting to shoot very accurate guns with very accurate ammo I reloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by mizer67 View Post
    Lockup is the key to accuracy. A drop in barrel is a crap shoot whether or not you'll see an improvement based primarily on how good the fit is overall.

I had a semi-drop in Storm Lake barrel that made no difference at all in accuracy in an M&P 40.

My G17, with a fitted Jarvis barrel, was capable of shooting a 1.38" 10-round group at 25 yards, that's about half of stock. My experience is with this barrel installed is that over tens of thousands of rounds I haven't experienced any reliability issues despite the tighter fit and chamber.

It's really up to you to decide if it's worth it to you. I find it more interesting to shoot very accurate guns with very accurate ammo I reloaded.
    Wow, that's freaking impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    I was watching some videos from a top trainer recently and he recommended match barrels for handguns to attain greater accuracy at say 50+ yards. He was making good hits at around 80 yards with a G19 fitted with a match barrel. He didn't say they were necessary but that they definitely help.

I tend not to replace anything in my Glock that is not broken as I trust the factory components more than aftermarket stuff. But what do you guys think about replacement barrels? Can greater accuracy be squeezed out of a Glock with a KKM drop-in or the like? Does this negatively affect reliability? I do like the idea of being able to use cast bullets for range ammo using a standard land and groove barrel.

What are your experiences with replacement barrels?
    I've had great results (30% smaller groups) with fitted Wilson barrels in two G17s, and poor results (bigger groups) with a drop-in Wilson 40 barrel in a G22. My thoughts, from a sample of three, in no particular order:
    1. You won't notice the smaller groups until you get past 25 yards.
    2. Reliability should remain unchanged IF the barrel is fitted properly.
    3. You may have to fiddle with the load somewhat, but cast bullets can work fine in OEM barrels. Keep the slugs 0.001" to 0.002" over groove diameter.
    4. Improvements can come from trigger work, new barrel, better fitting, better sights, tinkering with loads, and other stuff. Fortunately, they all add up to produce dramatically better groups. I put five shots into 3.25" at 50 yards with a good handload last week, which is a personal best.
    5. Most factory FMJ ammo is shit. You may have to try 8-10 different loads to get some that groups acceptably in your pistol, but it will be worth the effort.
    6. Do most of your accuracy testing at 50 yards if you can. 25-yard groups are easy after that.
    7. Hit the gym. By far my biggest improvements have come from improving my upper-body strength and grip strength.

Okie John

OJ, who do you get to fit your barrels and have you tried a Bar-Sto barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by Shenaniguns View Post
    OJ, who do you get to fit your barrels and have you tried a Bar-Sto barrel?
    Both G17 barrels are Wilsons. TigerSwan fitted one as part of their Instructor G17 package, which is a great deal. I fitted the other, which falls squarely into blind-hog-finding-an-acorn country.

I have not tried a BarSto yet.

Okie John

User Tag List