Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RIP Robin Williams

And as the time of year when suicide attempts spike is approaching, probably good timing as well.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Tend to agree with RevolverRob. Depends on the reason but suicide isn't always the cowardly act many want to believe it is. Sometimes I believe it takes alot of courage and is a reasonsble, honorable act. Louis Awerbuck comes to mind. Just my personal beliefs.

As a rule, I don't condone suicide. Most cases of suicide I've come across, some of them personal to me as I knew those who did it personally, are a result of inability to cope with the world not caring what a special snowflake they are.

That said, I view Robin's death as an honorable one. He was going to die a slow and painful death as madness overcame him with full knowledge of what was going on. Given the same choice, I'd rather die with my personality and sanity intact than face the slow death of dementia that would rob me of my independence and even the personality that makes me what I am. I see it as akin to Louis Awerbuck choosing to die on his terms. It's tragic, but in the end he chose to die well rather than linger as a shadow of his former self.

Godspeed Robin Williams. We loved you for what you brought us and may you find peace in the next life.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911guy View Post
    Yeah, but you look like a tactical hobo in flip flops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    A world without violence is about as likely as a world where I get to, um, "date" at least 3 A-list actresses and/or supermodels every single day. Ain't happening.

It kind of boggles my mind that there is a massive lobby defending the ability for a woman to end her unborn child's life, for health or pure convenience, and relatively very little stewardship for adults to make the same decision for themselves. My body, my choice, indeed...
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I believe that each individual's situation has to be considered by its unique factors and that there is no black and white, yes/no solution to this complicated and controversial subject. The big picture problem is that not everyone with mental issues has the faculties to rationally answer the to be or not to be question. Not all health and mental care providers possess and deliver optimal diagnosis and treatment. Finally, the care given is more often than not reflected, at best, by the on going concern of the patient's support group, i.e family, friends, etc. and their ability to deal with the relevant institutions. Were I ever in this position and assuming the doctors got it right, my only druther would be to do the deed in a manner that it least effects others and maybe even try to do society a favor on the way out.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

User Tag List