Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glock finger groove removal and stipple

PLEASE don't use power tools on a glock, too easy to ruin everything. For the frontstrap bumps, use a shaped wooden block inserted in glock frame to held it in a vice, then use a coarse sandpaper (I start with 80grit working down to 400) strip in a shoeshine motion, ADVICE: keep hands spreaded apart, you don't want to cut into the thin plastic between frontstrap and sides (it's REALLY thin, mind you) using the shoeshine motion is the best may to keep frontstrap even. Reverse grip in vice and do the same to the backstrap, when almost done keeping the strip of sandpaper spreaded between hands, don't do a shoeshine motion, but a upward downward one, to smooth everything out. Remove the texturing in grip sides with a sandblock, if you are careful you can leave the glock logo intact, bear in mind that if you leave even a hint of original texturing or checkering it will show after stippling. When everything is smoothed out you can work your way into stippling, I use a jig made from plastic to lay down the grip panels with a pencil, then proceed to stipple. I use a ultra thin wooden burner and an optivisor.

Nicely done. I got my G19 done and hope to post pics tomorrow.

Here is some inspiration:

Here is my latest work. I have done several stipple jobs using this sample style and all have turned out great. This was my first grind and stipple job. This is my GLOCK 19. The finger grooves never really fit my hand very well so I decided to man up and take them off. I definitely learned a lot of things on this job.

1. Make sure to completely grind off any features that you do not want. Factory checkering, even the thinly raised side panels. I was scared to go too deep on the front strap so I left some barely visible lines from the factory checkering. I figured that the stippling would cover a multitude of sins. I was wrong. You can still see them. I also thought I did not need to grind off the side panels but they showed through as well.

2. The places where I ground plastic off were much easier to stipple and stippled more evenly. Next time I will grind everything so it is all smooth before I stipple.

I have a lot of experience with a dremel so I was not afraid to use one. But I definitely recommend using sandpaper and elbow grease if you do not have experience with a dremel and steady hands. It was very nerve wracking since this was my first grind job. I think next time will be much better on the nerves and the result.

Not the greatest picture. Hope to take some better ones soon.

I still need to lightly sand the stippling on the sides of the grip. Right now it is cheese grater-ish. But all in all I love the way it feels. Much improved over the stock grip IMO.
    Last edited by Irelander; 08-28-2014 at 07:05 AM.

User Tag List