Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W 1076

S&W 1076

Fot the last 15 years, perhaps longer, I have been flirting with the 10mm. Originally out of intrigue for the cartridge, later after moving to Alaska, and wanting the most power (read bear capability) in a carry friendly semi-auto platform.

I have had a number of 1911 pistols in 10mm, and still have a Colt Delta tuned by JoJo's that has never malfunctioned. I go hot and cold on 1911 pistols, and have been cold for the last 5+ years. I have a number of S&W revolvers in 10mm, but I don't like the practicality, or lack thereof, of moon clips in the field. And, I always am struck with the notion that I should be carrying .44 magnum if I am packing a N frame. My wife and I have a pile of Glock 20 and 29 pistols. Lots going for them, but the loads that seem most attractive on an animal, also seem the farthest out the reliability envelope on the Glock.

Recently BOM suggested a 1076. For years, I was as interested in a big S&W DA/SA as eating carrots and beets -- meaning not that much. I humored him and started looking on Gunbroker. They are rare and expensive. I missed a never fired one, my bad, but recently got one with enough magazines to support it. Initial impressions are quite favorable. It is heavy, beefy and has a surprisingly good DA trigger. SA trigger is fine as a field pistol. Not keen about three dot sights, and am unsure whether there is a better alternative? Ergonomically, I can see how it would not be well received by many rank and file FBI personnel, especially those with small hands, and would make a P229R DAK seem like a thing of beauty.

Haven't shot an extensive session with it, but fired a mix of ammo, including Underwood TMJ, Black Talon and Hornady XTP. It functioned fine and was pleasant to shoot. While I wouldn't want to take it to a USPSA match or urban shooting, it seems like a very neat field pistol for launching heavier 10mm loads. I look forward to getting to know it better, and with caribou, moose and brown bear season coming up, should get some time to drag it around the field as my back-up.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My wife and I have a pile of Glock 20 and 29 pistols. Lots going for them, but the loads that seem most attractive on an animal, also seem the farthest out the reliability envelope on the Glock.
    I would guess you're talking about hard-cast SWC bullets, pushed hard?

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    I would guess you're talking about hard-cast SWC bullets, pushed hard?

No, I am even talking about 200 FMJ bullets at 1,200 fps, as loaded by Corbon and Buffalo Bore, which have been proven unreliable in at least a half dozen different Glock 20 and 29 pistols of Gen 3, Gen 3 SF and Gen 4 type.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    No, I am even talking about 200 FMJ bullets at 1,200 fps, as loaded by Corbon and Buffalo Bore, which have been proven unreliable in at least a half dozen different Glock 20 and 29 pistols of Gen 3, Gen 3 SF and Gen 4 type.
    Interesting. Have you explored the reasons why?

Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    Seems odd about the G20s. But a 1076 is just a mad sweet pistol. Do need pics though.

Love to hear the answer to this question.

I don't know enough to add anything of value to this thread, but I fantasize about retiring to Alaska, so of course I listen when George and BOM say pretty much anything Alaska or SIG-related or otherwise.

I'm all attention.

Nice pistol, G!

Looking forward to hearing how you solve the NS question!
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Grey Guns 10mm conversion for Sig P220ST - just sayin......
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Sure. I have experimented, discussed it with a friend at the Glock mothership, with Chuck Haggard and others on and off line.

This is informed speculation and not science. The Glock 20 was developed early 90's, presumably for the FBI contract. The kinds of loads tested by the factory during development were "classic" JHP type loads. To my knowledge, the factory has done no testing with 200 and 220 grain, penetrator style loads. At the time the Glock 20 was developed, I am not aware those sorts of loads were commercially available.

When I started shooting the Glock 20, I lived in the lower 48. I can't remember all the loads I shot, but I recall Hornady 180 and 200 XTP loads, Black Talon and Silvertips. After moving to Alaska in 2002, I started to become interested in penetrator loads. Mostly I carried a .44 back then, and so did most folks I encountered in the field. Ted Nugent started making noise about the Glock 20, and Corbon ammo. They had a 180 bonded style hunting load, the 155 Barnes and a 200 grain penetrator load. The stuff was hideously expensive. My wife and I bought some and started shooting it in our Glock 20 and 29 pistols. No problem with the 155 Barnes load, but intermittent problems with the 200 penetrator. We hypothesized too much slide velocity was the issue and tried Wolff heavier springs and their guide rod. It didn't seem to matter whether we used those or the OEM assembly. Tried a Barsto barrel, with no difference. This continued as we got SF models. Finally, we got Gen 4 models, thinking the different recoil spring in the 20 would help. It didn't. By that time, we had tried Buffalo Bore, which was the worst of all in reliability. For a while we thought Double Tap 200 ran, right up until the time I plugged a spruce hen through the head with my G29, and a slightly injured wrist, and the pistol malfunctioned. My Glock friend had also heard reports from field workers in AK also experiencing reliability issues with the Glock 20 and the heavy loads.

That started us down the path of trying the Glock 22 and KKM barrels with 200 DT hard cast last summer. Short answer is that turned out not to be reliable, especially with less rounds left in the magazine. Interestingly, so far the FNS .40 feeds DT 200 hard cast, both with a firm two hand group, and "loosy-goosy" with one hand. In the mean time, we have been successful in the 10mm Glock pistols so far with Underwood 200 TMJ, and our old standby 200 Hornady XTP.

If the Glocks will not reliably feed a load capable of penetrating the skull of a bear, it kind of defeats the purpose of carrying 10mm over another semi auto caliber. I bought a bunch of the new Federal Trophy Bonded 10mm load, and have Underwood 200 TMJ, that I plan to first test in the 1076. If that works, I will then test the Corbon and Buffalo Bore that routinely chokes the Glock pistols. My belief is that while the Glock 20 is scaled up for the Glock 17, and weighs more, it is not scaled up enough to shoot the loads that interest me most in 10mm. Time will tell if the 1076 runs. The 10mm Glock pistols just don't have the numbers out there in use, and more importantly, the high round counts testing heavy ammo. If the G17 or 19 didn't feed 124+P Gold Dot or HST, it would practically cause an alert through the industry. 10mm is very much a niche, with most users of the heavy loads buying a box or two of 20 cartridges, loading their mag and calling it good. 10mm just doesn't benefit from that level of accumulated user experience associated with the 9mm and .40 Glock pistols.

User Tag List