Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W 1076

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    You just hate Glocks.
    The bear hated Glocks - most likely what caused the whole thing ........

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    You just hate Glocks.
    the funny thing is I have more Glock pistols than any other brand, and that is even calling a 1911 "a brand." And, my wife exclusively shoots a Glock, excepting the off S&W revolver, and has several dozen of her own.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    The 1066 is my all time fav non 1911 10mm. Bar non. They can be made into a seriously nice 10mm with a little polishing and welding.
    As usual, this threads are expensive.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.

S&W 1076

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    As usual, this threads are expensive.
    Not to nudge you any more, but one of the things that sold me on the 1006 (full size variant of the 1066) is that the control layout was the same as the Beretta 92.

The 1066 was nice, but for a 10mm I'd take the 1006 to try and get all of the velocity I could get.

True, but it should be noted that slide velocity alters the jello behavior of the frame, which in turn makes feeding all the more interesting.

The 1066 is my all time fav non 1911 10mm. Bar non. They can be made into a seriously nice 10mm with a little polishing and welding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Not to nudge you any more, but one of the things that sold me on the 1006 (full size variant of the 1066) is that the control layout was the same as the Beretta 92.
    First, no nudge needed as I will soon be bi-wesson, meaning a 1076 and 1066.

I could care less about control placement and decocking. You know that bear story -- if needed for real, I will be shooting that thing to slide lock, and then someone else will have to remove it from the place you hope there isn't much of a front sight.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    How does the 1066 compare to a 1076 in durability?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    That decocker is cheesy, regardless of recall.
    IIRC, the frame mounted decockers came about from the FBI telling S&W, "We will buy your guns, if you make them work just like these Sigs that we've become enamoured with."

I'm still not sure how some kind of patent infringement lawsuit was avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by Sotex View Post
    IIRC, the frame mounted decockers came about from the FBI telling S&W, "We will buy your guns, if you make them work just like these Sigs that we've become enamoured with."
    True.

Compounding the issue was the fact that The Director Had Spoken; FBI was going to 10mm, despite his FTU people telling him it was a real bad idea; and there were exactly three to choose from... the Colt Delta Elite 1911, the G20, and the S&W. FBI held to the prevailing (at the time) cop perception that any SA gun with a manual safety was bad juju for LE work; one that is still valid today for a general-issue piece. The Glock was still new, and considered by FBI FTU to be the anti-Christ (due to all the negligent injury/wrongful death suits Glock was facing at the time, caused by cops who had not been trained to keep their finger OFF of the trigger, etc.). So that left the S&W.

An amusing aside was the fact that they first approached Sig about making a 10mm P226, and the Sig/USA guys over here said "Sure, we can do that." When the idea was floated in Germany, the Teutonic engineers nixed it, knowing that a complete re-design would be necessary and that an alloy frame would not stand the pounding. What makes it amusing is that , I was told, Sig neglected to inform the FBI of this decision, so after Ted Hollobaugh and his merry men developed the "10mm Lite" cartridge, they informed Sig of this and asked "Where's our gun?"

The answer allegedly was, "Gun? What gun?"

Bottom line, they (FBI FTU) were between a rock and a hard place now, and the S&W offering was the lesser of three evils. The frame-mount decocker was indeed a last-minute add-on. And the rest, as they say, is history...

I know right? Who'd have thought physics and materials science would pertain to firearms?
    Physics? Material Sciences? Only smart people took those courses. I got a degree in something like Post-Structuralist Deconstructionism, in which we learned how irony is used in anti-imperialist discourse. Or something. So I had to find out about the limitations of polymer the hard way (during the course of which I also accidently learned why one doesn't want to fire a bullet at velocities well in excess of its design limitations).

The S&W part that is the Sig copy decocker thingy was referred to in the armorers class I was last in as the "Bart Simpson" due to it's appearance. It's pretty cheesy looking when you get the parts out and look at them.

User Tag List