Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skinny/Thin Guy CCW advice sought

Skinny/Thin Guy CCW advice sought

I have never concealed carry before but am thinking about how best to carry. Being lean/thin all my life, 5-10 under 160, I don't know what experiences others in a similar body type may have or what advice a qualified individual would give.

AIWB seemed crazy to me at first blush. Then, I read the Todd G thread in AIWB so I got my blue Glock 19 in it's cheap factory sport holster and couldn't believe how comfortable it was and concealable in a t shirt and jeans just having the pistol in that area during multiple walks with my dog.

I can tell you that having a non hammer pistol does concern me if I went this route of AIWB.

OWB seemed to scream gun in the same attire On my frame but understand that the holster cant isn't optimal.

IWB seems less so in this regard to concealment with it just tucked at a good angle on right 3 o'clock. I can see how a slimmer pistol like the Walther PPS might be easy but can't get one in my state so it is a moot point and the Glock seemed good.

I am trying not to buy multiple holsters, etc and practice only one method of carry, ?, and one gun, Glock 19.

Any advice or lessons learned before I start down this road would be appreciated!!

I think being an engineer seems to make me over think/analyze too much. I might be oversensitive to the whole concealment thing.

Ps Once I decide which method, my next step would to be to take dedicated pistol training courses using that method of carry. I have a Vickers AK course coming up but plan OWB for that.

Back when I first started carrying, I was pretty much the same size as you, maybe a few pounds lighter. I found and extreme angle of about 25 degrees at about 4-5ish o'clock worked best for me. My first holster for my Glock 17 was a UNS from Ken Null. I had him put just a tad more rake to it for me. I always like that style of carry, which shows in my work today. I tried AIWB, but I always wore my jeans low, so it looked like a tumor at my abdomen, lol. With dress slacks, it worked perfectly though. Granted, this was 25 years ago.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
    http://www.jrcholsters.com

I am 5' 11" and 165 to 170 and easily Ccw G19 and G17 AIWB or hip IWB. Lots of holster options. I use FIST #1 kydex.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Everyone is different and what might be ideal for someone identical to you physically, might not work for you. What works perfect for a Glock might suck with a H&K. You are probably going to wind up with the box of bolsters that everyone talks about. The best all around holsters for me have proven to be the VMII and the Axiom. Both are leather from Milt Sparks. The VMII is IWB and the Axiom is OWB. One conceals as well as the other. When it comes to synthetics and kydex, I prefer the Silent Thunder and the universal offerings from Safariland.

Keep in mind that your holster selection means nothing without a good belt.

Quote Originally Posted by ranburr View Post
    I agreed wholeheartedly when we carried 40 oz steel pistols but 22 oz polymer wonders are a bit of different story IME. Not that a 1" dress belt works, but I have not found it necessary to use the uber thick stiff purpose built gun belts with G19 class pistols. FWIW .
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Thanks for the replies.

It looks as though I need to try some items out. I was trying to avoid the box of holsters like I did with buying too many guns but it appears this may be part of the process since holsters are such an individual preference/fit.

One quick question, I have the cheap OWB holster but am thinking of getting a Concealment X for my upcoming class. If I will buy an OWB for range I want it to do double duty for the limited time I would carry. Does anyone have any experience with one. The main reason is the class is in August and don't have much time to wait for a custom.

Still have to buy a belt for the class also.

I think I will go with IWB at 4 to 5 o'clock for regular CCW when that occurs. I live in a unfriendly county in CA so I have a bit of wait time before I can CCW.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

It looks as though I need to try some items out. I was trying to avoid the box of holsters like I did with buying too many guns but it appears this may be part of the process since holsters are such an individual preference/fit.

One quick question, I have the cheap OWB holster but am thinking of getting a Concealment X for my upcoming class. If I will buy an OWB for range I want it to do double duty for the limited time I would carry. Does anyone have any experience with one. The main reason is the class is in August and don't have much time to wait for a custom.

Still have to buy a belt for the class also.

I think I will go with IWB at 4 to 5 o'clock for regular CCW when that occurs. I live in a unfriendly county in CA so I have a bit of wait time before I can CCW.
    Check out 'Smith Custom Holsters' for a very versatile OWB/IWB setup. I don't own the product, but I've read great things about the comfort and fit & finish, and the rig is adjustable for ride-height and cant. I understand that their standard IWB comes complete with an extra set of belt loops/hooks so that you can convert it to OWB.

Quote Originally Posted by ranburr View Post
    This is something, to my great sorrow, I learned late in the game.

I got the fattest, thickest, stiffest belt I could from Beltman and it makes a huge difference in carrying anything from a small 1911 to a Walther PPS to a BHP.

I'm 6'1", 175, working up to 180 or higher.

I've been carrying my G26 at about 4 o'clock in a Clipper from Alabama Holster. Decent holster, but it tends to sag even my Wilderness Tactical 5-stich instructor belt. It also tends to rotate a bit on the belt. I think both problems are due to the single attachment point.

Switching to the Pardus from Cane & Derby, waiting on it to get here. It has two attachment points and IWB/OWB capability.

For skinny guys without a butt, a stiff belt is important - I figured this one out firsthand. The leather belts I tried sagged and hurt my back when I carried.

Appendix won't really work for me unless I wear a tent for a shirt. There's not much flab on my abs, so anything there will stick out.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

User Tag List