Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is Freedom Munitions ammo known for hard primers?

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Just because they come from overseas doesn't make them necessarily hard primers. Ginex has been 99.99% reliable for me. I have been shooting about 1200 rounds a month and I think I had one primer fail to ignite in a USPSA match. Domestic commercial Winchester primers were the worst I have ever experienced.
    Cody
    I was thinking more of the Russian made and such.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

I've run 3000+ FM 124gr without any issues in my SIG's (226, 239) or Nano in 9mm. Range log says 1 fail-to-fire (fired on second trigger pull, but that is a whole different thread...) assumed hard primer. Not bad for range ammo.
    If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis D. Brandeis

I was talking ammo at Fredericksburg USPSA yesteray and they told me horror stories about Freedom Munitions NEW brass failing them in a variety of ways: squibs, inconsistent power factor, and powder as well. Primers didn't come up though. The senior USPSA group I was talking to avoid Freedom. Interestingly, they were happy with the Jack Ross loads. We did have a bad batch of Winchester primers, but those are out of the system now, but that hurt the reputation for a while.

I just ordered 1000 rounds of .223 because I have a lot of range brass to sell them. I normally shoot Wolf Gold .223 and have excellent luck, consistent, reliable, clean. Prices went up, so figured I would try out the Freedom .223.

Cody

Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I was thinking more of the Russian made and such.
    Yeah, agreed, can't trust the Russian primers. Also, I hear more toxic.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

I have no problem with Russian primers in general, I've certainly shot LOTS of Wolf, Tula, etc. x39, ,223 and 9mm with no issues, but I do hear of people having trouble capping some of that off in their guns.

I wouldn't shoot reloaded .223/5.56 from anybody, I just don't trust the "once fired brass" that much after seeing about a dozen ARs go high order over the past few years.
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 04-06-2015 at 01:24 PM.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

I was talking ammo at Fredericksburg USPSA yesteray and they told me horror stories about Freedom Munitions NEW brass failing them in a variety of ways: squibs, inconsistent power factor, and powder as well. Primers didn't come up though. The senior USPSA group I was talking to avoid Freedom. Interestingly, they were happy with the Jack Ross loads. We did have a bad batch of Winchester primers, but those are out of the system now, but that hurt the reputation for a while.
    Huh. So new FM is no longer gtg?

I am about done with an order of 124 remans, but wasn't ordering until this fall. The remans are ok but I was going to get 'new', but not if they are having issues these days?

FWIW when I was shooting their reman 124gr a year ago my gamer gun would not reliably pop the primers. They looked like S&B primers to me (shiny gold color). CCI 500s were GTG in the same gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I have no problem with Russian primers in general, I've certainly shot LOTS of Wolf, Tula, etc. x39, ,223 and 9mm with no issues, but I do hear of people having trouble capping some of that off in their guns.

I wouldn't shoot reloaded .223/5.56 from anybody, I just don't trust the "once fired brass" that much after seeing about a dozen ARs go high order over the past few years.
    I agree on the 223. I ordered Freedom New Brass .223.
    Cody

Quote Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
    Huh. So new FM is no longer gtg?

I am about done with an order of 124 remans, but wasn't ordering until this fall. The remans are ok but I was going to get 'new', but not if they are having issues these days?
    To be clear: The guys I was talking to are highly demanding and very picky about ammo because they are very serious B-class and up USPSA shooters. Even one bad round at a Nationals or Area Championship can cost them top spot in their Class.
    Cody

To be clear: The guys I was talking to are highly demanding and very picky about ammo because they are very serious B-class and up USPSA shooters. Even one bad round at a Nationals or Area Championship can cost them top spot in their Class.
    Cody
    Ah, ok, thanks. I am in no danger of being a B shooter for some time to come.

Should be ok for me to use at the range, sounds like.

Thanks!

Rich

User Tag List