Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Freedom Munitions ammo known for hard primers?

A lot of the smaller ammo makers, and reloaders, source primers wherever they can get them from. Sometimes that's overseas.

To me, a more interesting question is whether the Sig P228 is known for having problems busting hard primers -- I thought hammer guns were supposed to be better in this regard?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I can tell you their 115gr feels like it's loaded lighter than CCI Blazer Brass 5200; recoil kick is noticeably less. That said I haven't had any issues with light primer strikes and I'm not pushing the bullet 100+yards out so I haven't notice any accuracy issues. I will say I'm going to switch exclusively to their 147gr ammo simply because it's not NEARLY as loud in the concrete jungle as compared to their 115 and 124 gr options.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    I can tell you their 115gr feels like it's loaded lighter than CCI Blazer Brass 5200; recoil kick is noticeably less. That said I haven't had any issues with light primer strikes and I'm not pushing the bullet 100+yards out so I haven't notice any accuracy issues. I will say I'm going to switch exclusively to their 147gr ammo simply because it's not NEARLY as loud in the concrete jungle as compared to their 115 and 124 gr options.
    I really like Freedom's 147 grain load for action pistol. It shoots super soft and is really nice and quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    A lot of the smaller ammo makers, and reloaders, source primers wherever they can get them from. Sometimes that's overseas.
    Just because they come from overseas doesn't make them necessarily hard primers. Ginex has been 99.99% reliable for me. I have been shooting about 1200 rounds a month and I think I had one primer fail to ignite in a USPSA match. Domestic commercial Winchester primers were the worst I have ever experienced.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I really like Freedom's 147 grain load for action pistol. It shoots super soft and is really nice and quiet.
    Agreed. I like it so much more that the 10% premium for the bigger bullets is worth it to me... at least after I burn off the stashes of 115gr and 124gr I got also.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

I've had a couple of what seemed to be hard primers on the FMs 115gr. reman.

I have had all good luck with the FMs 115gr. new.

I bought a few thousand rounds of their 124 gr remanufactured and had a lot of issues with both my wife and my glock 34s. So much so that every stage we shot at the last two local 3gun matches had at least one light primer strike. I changed our striker springs from 2 and 4lbs to to 6lbs and still had every 20 or so get light hits. I even have a extended skeletonized striker. We bought a bunch of walmart 115 gr and took those to shoot SMM3G and had zero issues. I'm only using FM for practice anymore. from the few boxes i just looked at these are brass colored primers and sit very flat and a bit deep compared to federal

I've gone through about 4k rounds over the "shortage" in the last few years with friends. I found that anytime there was an issue with a friend's Glock or Walther, it would easily feed in my HK P30 or my other friend's Beretta. These were 115 and 124.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Toss it in a case gauge. Chances are your hard primer are cases that fail gauge.

User Tag List