Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introduction

Introduction

Hi everyone, just wanted to introduce myself and tell you a little about me. It can be a little intimidating at first to join a new community, especially one such as this that is clearly filled with many intelligent, competent, and tight knit individuals. This is compounded even further by it being a community populated by military and LE (thank you for your service if that applies to you), which are families that are much closer than most groups can understand. My dad is retired Air Force and I've worked as a police dispatcher for almost 15 years, and so feel I have at least a little more insight to these groups than most. I've posted a couple times since I joined in the last few days, but it almost feels like an interruption without an introduction, so here goes...

I turned 40 this year, and although I went shooting and hunting with my dad when I was younger, I've only gotten back into shooting in the last 5 years or so. Because of my experience with guns with my dad, I was always comfortable being around and handling guns, but it was always just a recreational thing. I'm not sure exactly when that changed, but I attribute that change mostly to my work experience. I carry now, and have taken some classes in addition to getting to the range as often as I can. In the last few years I've learned enough to know I still have a lot to learn.

I've enjoyed teaching my wife about guns, and after taking her to a class and the range several times, I believe I may have her hooked. I'm looking forward to educating my children about firearms and shooting when they get a little older.

For myself, I'm planning on continuing my firearm education with more classes (I'll have to travel some as there are some training opportunities close to me, but not the more extensive ones that I'm interested in now). I'm also excited about contributing on this forum and getting more serious about my own training and range time. I have yet to try any USPSA or IDPA, but it looks like fun and I'd like to give it a shot some day. I know I will learn a lot here just browsing through the excellent drills and practices I have seen so far that I can incorporate into my range time. There is such a wealth of knowledge, it seems I could read forever. Paralysis by analysis? I'll try not to do that.

My personal goals at the present time are continuing to experiment with AIWB as a viable means of carry for myself, and also continuing to work on keeping both eyes open when I shoot. I'm cross dominant and have been told that makes it tougher, but I'm working on it.

Thanks for reading.

Site Supporter
    Welcome, and thanks for becoming a Site Supporter.

Welcome to the forum! Now go start a training journal.
    Sheep Have Wool

Welcome. A great place to start is the DoTW (drill of the week) and / or an open journal, under the heading of drills, test, practice.
    Taking a break from social media.

Welcome to the forum!
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Welcome!
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Welcome aboard!
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Welcome aboard!

Welcome, and please make sure to share how your experiences go introducing your kids to firearms -- it's something I think about a lot.

Welcome!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

User Tag List