Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Calling all folks who deal with bear on their property....

So - I have learned over the years that if you take ten people out in the field to do field research, maybe half of them have ever shot a gun before. An afternoon spent blasting clays with a shotgun, and an hour learning to aim slugs out of a shorter gun is all you need to get the confidence for someone to carry a gun, and potentially use it, safely. When out and about, you typically are not alone, so two people with shotguns as opposed to one. Reloading in a bear encounter seems very unlikely, as well, but I still carry spare ammo. Teaching someone to shoot an AR10 or a handgun is more involved.

That's for the temporary use. If you live someplace with bears, it might make more sense to have a semi-auto rifle in .308, but you're still lugging a heavy gun and relying on multiple hits to bring down your target. I mean poachers take elephant with AK47s and FALs all the time in Africa, but often on full auto. PHs and local governments don't let folks hunt elephants with anything less than a .4xx, because they rely on shot placement and one-shot kills, with really big and powerful bullets, and in fact if you talk to some PHs their "backup" gun in case of a charge is a pump or semi-auto shotgun with slugs loaded in it. These are folks are kill really large and dangerous animals for a living, that should tell use something.

Edit: And I think we've had this conversation before, maybe in the long gun forum, but the general consensus is - If you're within 25 yards of anything you might want to kill, a 12-gauge shotgun loaded with buck for two-legged primates, and slugs for anything bigger than a two-legged primate seems to be the best from a power-to-usability perspective.

-Rob

As long as we are discussing size efficient stopping rifles, here is one of my favorites. A .450 Marlin built on a controlled feed, short action model 70. Aimpoint, light mount, aperture sights. Holds six down rounds of 400 grains loaded to 2,150 fps, meaning .458 WM lite performance in a 6.5 pound rifle.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I'm looking at those pictures and coveting.

I bet it kicks like the dickens. What kind of recoil pad?

Oh, and why .450 Marlin, vs. 45-70?
    Last edited by Lester Polfus; 08-07-2014 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I'm looking at those pictures and coveting.

I bet it kicks like the dickens. What kind of recoil pad?

Oh, and why .450 Marlin, vs. 45-70?
    The recoil is on par with a Brenneke out of a 12 gauge or 420 grain hard cast out of a Guide Gun, so it gets your attention but isn't painful. Limbsaver pad, which is part of the reason it doesn't hurt.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I'm guessing the .450 Marlin is better suited for feeding in a bolt action than the 45-70?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The recoil is on par with a Brenneke out of a 12 gauge or 420 grain hard cast out of a Guide Gun, so it gets your attention but isn't painful. Limbsaver pad, which is part of the reason it doesn't hurt.
    400 grains at 2150 fps out of a 6.5 lb short rifle and it isn't painful? I think that I'd flinch before I put my finger on the trigger. I keep getting the sense that light armor might be a more sensible way of dealing with your bears.

User Tag List