Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Calling all folks who deal with bear on their property....

Dixie slugs are very effective.
    US Navy Veteran
    1961-1965

Thanks a ton guys. I believe they're familiar and comfortable with guns, but not "shooters".
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Site Supporter
    Bears are around in my area but not something I deal with daily.

I would second the Bear Spray, research has it being more effective than guns but that is probably from Canada and National Parks skewing the data as well as average people are much more willing to spray a bear then shoot one and shooting actually takes some skill.

I am not saying I am right but my first line is Counter Assault Bear Spray in the 10 oz can backed up by my 9mm everyday carry. For the house I have my home defense AR in .223. I am having a really bad day if those are not effective in some manner.

I don't deal with Griz at the house, only Black Bears. I work in Griz areas but sparse.

Cookie Monster
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 08-06-2014 at 07:32 PM. Reason: grammer

I was out doing field research on this thread this afternoon:

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I completely agree on the aspect of dealing with bear behavior. Trash and food discipline while camping was the real solution that kept us from dealing extensively with bears when I've been in bear country. The closet I've ever seen a wild bear was about 100 yards and I was fine with that. I generally like to avoid dealing with animals that are above me in the food chain. GJM, that would be pretty much enough for me to find another place to hang out.

I won't lie to you guys, I prefer doing field work in the desert because of the lack of really large predators. The occasional coyote, maybe a mountain lion, is about it. And I'd rather deal with a rattlesnake or scorpion any day of the week. Mostly because a 4" .357 can handle that pretty easily.

-Rob

Great info here; even though I have a lot less need for it, I find it very interesting and good to have in my mental rolodex. I've passed this link along to him.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

It's probably wrong that I looked for bear bells in the last pic.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

This is why we have a look outside before letting our dog out, or going outside ourselves. This morning this little bull showed up behind our house, eating fireweed. Hung around 45 minutes, then ended up about 8 yards from our front door. That is our 4 Runner in the driveway in the third picture.

That damn moose moved in -- has been decimating our pretty fireweed. I just went outside to shoo him off, and the thing charged me. I beat feet and got back in the front door.

MGC -- was wearing the FNS .40 in a JM appendix holster, but crocs were all I need to make my escape.

That's cool man. We've not had a moose show up of course, but we've had our share of nuisance critters. I still greatly prefer that to the knuckleheads I dealt with in the suburbs.

Looks like you are carrying a Guide Gun in the pictures from earlier. I think I'm going to pick one of those up in the next couple of years, as we hunt Elk in the thickets at bad breath range down here, plus we'll likely wind up in Alaska at some point. What load do you use in yours? What are you running for a rear sight?

User Tag List