Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trap shooting & feet

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    It's a different culture and it will not change. You either accept it or you will be frustrated and will eventually leave.
    I was asking if it's common over there, and why it's acceptable. You've answered the former and not the latter.

I'm not looking for an answer that consists of: just accept it or move on. If that's all you have, I'd prefer you follow-through with your initial post and run mentality.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Really sounds like a culture sub-set.
    Agreed. What other subsets have more relaxed safety standards? Pistol, carbine and long range/benchrest all seem to be on a somewhat level playing field.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    I was asking if it's common over there, and why it's acceptable. You've answered the former and not the latter.
    I told you why it is acceptable. You cannot be shot with an open shotgun. That's a physical/mechanical fact, regardless of whatever "rules" Jeff Cooper wrote down.

Site Supporter
    Practically every other discipline uses the same set of gun safety rules, except for shotgunners. That's noteworthy.

You can't be shot if my finger isn't on the trigger of the DA gun, but we don't rely on that as our argument to violate the rules that everyone else has accepted as a standard.

Agreed. What other subsets have more relaxed safety standards? Pistol, carbine and long range/benchrest all seem to be on a somewhat level playing field.
    Good point. I know nothing about this sport; is it just much, much easier to point the shotgun at your feet? Is it that much trouble to follow the rules that pistol, carbine, and rifle shooters follow? Genuinely curious (shotguns aren't used much in Wyoming).
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    is it just much, much easier to point the shotgun at your feet?
    When FredM and I shot clays in his backyard as kids, we still managed to find ways to avoid it.

It looks like laziness to me. I think they get tired of holding the gun while other people on the different stations (right word?) take their turn. They'd rather rest it on their toes, with a special pad, than rest it on the concrete.

They'd rather rest it on their toes, with a special pad, than rest it on the concrete.
    Considering that most target grade shotguns start at $2000 and go on up from there quite quickly, no, you will not find too many people resting their muzzles on concrete.

Practically every other discipline uses the same set of gun safety rules, except for shotgunners. That's noteworthy.

You can't be shot if my finger isn't on the trigger of the DA gun, but we don't rely on that as our argument to violate the rules that everyone else has accepted as a standard.
    I don't know what to tell you. You will not change these clay sport specific practices, so my original suggestion to accept it or not participate is still realistic.

Site Supporter
    Considering that most target grade shotguns start at $2000 and go on up from there quite quickly, no, you will not find too many people resting their muzzles on concrete.
    It was a joke, the alternative to putting it on your foot is to HOLD it.

Site Supporter
    I don't know what to tell you.
    It's OK, you can stop posting in this thread - no problem.

User Tag List