Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trap shooting & feet

Site Supporter

Trap shooting & feet

I've been watching a few trap shooting videos, some by top shooters, and it shows them resting the barrel of their o/u (opened) on their toes - with some special pad.

Check out 0:12, 0:45, 1:07, 1:18, 1:28 ..... I'm losing count

So .... it's OK to violate one of the basic rules because the action is open? Many sweep their legs when holstering a handgun, is this similar?
    Last edited by JV_; 08-06-2014 at 05:45 AM.

I've seen people do this with semi autos and pump guns at a local trap club, and they're the same folks who seem to sweep everyone on the line with finger on the trigger, etc.

It seems like an easy way to experience a massive owie of the foot if Cletus McGoober touches off a Winchester AA trap round into his foot while fiddlin' with his shotgun on the line.
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 08-06-2014 at 06:00 AM.

With trap in particular I could see reasoning to make that OK but these folks are also OK with pointing the muzzles at people when walking around as long as things are broke open. That is a no-go for me.

As for sweeping legs when holstering I find many more OWB carriers to do this than well practiced AIWB carriers. Derp is as derp does.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    these folks are also OK with pointing the muzzles at people when walking around as long as things are broke open.
    That was my next question.

I have a new interest in trap and skeet, and I have a nice facility near me, but it sounds like I won't like the safety culture.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    That was my next question.

I have a new interest in trap and skeet, and I have a nice facility near me, but it sounds like I won't like the safety culture.
    If you tell them to stop pointing their shotguns in an unsafe direction, chances are you'll be given the maloika.

So .... it's OK to violate one of the basic rules because the action is open? Many sweep their legs when holstering a handgun, is this similar?
    Yes. No.

As a long time skeet and sporting clays shooter, I'm going to say a few things then back out:

1) An open double gun is no more dangerous than a broomstick, even if there is ammo in the chambers (which there shouldn't be). It's a mechanical impossibility for a double gun to fire if the action is open. That is beyond argument.

2) If you go to a skeet/trap/sporting clays facility you will have to deal with a different set of gun handling rules/culture. If you cannot accept that, please don't go. You will not change anything/anyone and will be miserable.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    I'm going to say a few things then back out:
    I'm not particularly interested in drive by posts, if you have something worthwhile to say then participate.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    1) An open double gun is no more dangerous than a broomstick, even if there is ammo in the chambers (which there shouldn't be). It's a mechanical impossibility for a double gun to fire if the action is open. That is beyond argument.
    So, it's no different than a semi-auto with the slide locked back and no mag in the gun? In the pistol world, you still don't point those at people.

I'm not particularly interested in drive by posts, if you have something worthwhile to say then participate.
    I said what I said because it's true and I know of no other way to say it. I sort of knew I would get the reaction I did and hesitated to even say anything, but there you go. What would you consider worthwhile then? An echo chamber affirmation of your opinion?

It's a different culture and it will not change. You either accept it or you will be frustrated and will eventually leave.

So, it's no different than a semi-auto with the slide locked back and no mag in the gun? In the pistol world, you still don't point those at people.
    Once again, the clays world is not the pistol world.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 08-06-2014 at 07:19 AM.

Really sounds like a culture sub-set.
    #RESIST

User Tag List