Thread: Jerry Miculek - Superhero?

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    That's the internet for today, kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeton Brown
    Spall broke the balloon.
    Oh, hell, anybody could do it, then.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Looks have little to do with lethality, look at all the hipster sporting beardo's who look like a 5.11 magazine puked them out but are nothing more than cannon fodder.
    I don't think comparing someone that looks like they got raped by a 5.11 catalog to Scarlett Johansson in a skin tight leather suit is even in the same league.

PPGMD, you got me there. Definitely not in the same league.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    That's the internet for today, kids.
    Thought there was something great about that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Indeed it is balloon schmalloon - That steel is roughly man sized and he hits it after his second shot at 1000 yards. I personally would have then liked to see Jerry empty the rest of the gun. Any guess, would he get 7, 6, 5, or 4 of 8? I know if you gave me the revolver and a case of ammo, I might eventually figure out the ranging and hit the gong, but it would take some practice. Like Malamute, I would have liked to have known how long Jerry practiced that shot, before the video setup.

-Rob
    My comment wasn't in any way intended to minimize Jerry's shot, just add a bit if reality. He may indeed have done it the first time he tried it, and if so, its a testimony to his overall ability, but I'd guess hes done it a few times, and had an idea where to start holding.

I've surprised a few people shooting stupid distances with a pistol, including a few times making a first shot hit on the 300 yard plate with a g-19, one handed. That I'd shot probably 1500 or so rounds at that plate with that pistol is part of the reality.

I wouldn't take that as minimizing at all. Silly to think an astounding feat of skill that you've practiced many times is less impressive than a lucky shot. That's where astounding feats of skill come from.

"Your hands than mine are quicker for a fray.
    My legs are longer though, to run away."
    --Helena of Athens

Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn View Post
    I wouldn't take that as minimizing at all. Silly to think an astounding feat of skill that you've practiced many times is less impressive than a lucky shot. That's where astounding feats of skill come from.

I'm profoundly impressed by his shot. I've shot a bit farther than 300, but its rapidly gets much harder as the distance increases. surprisingly, as way out there as 300 yards seems, it isnt all that hard once you get the concept of how to use the open sights at that distance. I can get most people on the plate fairly quickly with a little coaching, most average shooters making at least occasional hits at 300 yards. Its also very hard to see the hits at longer ranges and a spotter becomes important.

Jerrys hit at 200 yards, upside down with a J Smith is also an astounding shot. I can scare stuff at 200 with a J, but that's about it. I wouldn't bet money on it without doing it a LOT first, and then wouldn't figure on small targets consistantly. 5 gallon can maybe.

The most impressive long range shooting I have witnessed in person was in an Uncle Scotty class. He had made some comments about 400+ yard pistol shots and the class of hard core SWAT operators scoffed. He promptly marched us to the rifle range where there was a mail box on the 0 yard line. We engaged it from 200 yards out. One guy went 3/3 with his 9mm P226. Talk about distance magnifying errors, you could tell who was jerking the trigger when the rounds were hitting the ground between 50 and 100 yards.

I tried the steel IPSC silhouette at 300 yards when I was Paul Howe's but could never hit it. When I later looked up the drop for 230 gr 45 ACP, I realized that my hold over had been insufficient for the distance. IIRC 79" at 200 yards.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

I fooled around with distance shooting off and on, but one place we shot in Az regularly had an 18" w x 36" h plate set at 300 yards. It was a sandstone rock face behind it, you could see even a 22 hit the sandstone face and walk hits in on the plate. I shot on that plate quite a lot over several years before moving north. The taller-than-wide plate helps a lot, as elevation is the biggest issue at distance. Theres a lot of good places to shoot distance where I now am. One friend set about an 18" plate at 300 yards, and another 24" plate @ 600 in about '04. We of course started wasting ammo shooting at it with pistols....only it isn't wasting ammo if you do it enough to get the hang of it. Like anything, the more you do it, the easier it seems. Your "luck" improves.

I never was able to be consistent by trying to aim at some imaginary point above the target. By lowering the rear sight in relationship to the front sight, and always keeping the front sight/target relationship the same, you can get repeatable reference points for sight hold on the target. With the g-19 and WWB, it turned out that I held the rear at about 2/3 of the way down the dot on the front sight. I have no idea how much "drop" that indicates, but its a repeatable reference point for that gun/load/distance, and produces hits when I pay attention. Different distances/guns/loads becomes a matter of educated guess to get started. One handed needs a bit less front sight held, as the gun recoils differently. Smith revolvers with the red ramp front sights have a very good reference point built in, and are easier for me to use well, not to mention the very clean trigger. 1911's in 45 cal have a TON of drop compared to a 9mm or other round of similar velocity. I'm using all the front blade and some of the slide over the rear sight to get hits @ 300, and variation in drop inherent in the load/velocity seems more noticeable

And yes, the bottom line is, distance shooting makes you really focus on sight alignment, clean trigger pull, and breathing. Any variations or failure to pay attention shows up pretty quickly, and in a very pronounced way. Having dry ground that instantly shows your hits helps get it together, and make you focus and pay attention to what you're doing.

Probably not much real life use for it, but its a heck of a lot of fun. after getting the hang of it, shorter distances seem like cheating. Sort of like getting used to one handed shooting, then shooting two handed or with a rest or kneeling.

On a related note, this Wednesday at 10 on H2 Jerry will be on the show "Super Humans"

User Tag List