Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Assorted facts that beginners should know...

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar

Assorted facts that beginners should know...

It's easy for those of us who have been doing this firearms thing for a while to assume that some bits of knowledge are common to anyone handling/using/collecting firearms, but often what we think is common knowledge is completely new information to many. I've encountered it enough that I think it might be worthwhile to have a thread or a resource where we can collect these bits of knowledge for general consumption. So with that in mind, I'd like to solicit the assistance of the forum in creating some sort of index of these important bits of knowledge that might not be as "common" as we think.

Naturally I'll get the ball rolling. The goal here is to come up with the useful tidbits and refinements to the presentation so that in the end we have something fairly concise and easy to read that will communicate some of these informational nuggets effectively.

Re-chambering rounds:

The act of chambering a cartridge in a semi-automatic or automatic firearm is fairly violent and can have significant impact on the health of the cartridge that is being stripped from the magazine and slammed into the chamber of the weapon. Repeated exposure to this violent process can lead to severe safety and reliability issues. One of the largest concerns is bullet setback. Ordinarily when the primer is struck, the powder in the case burns in a consistent fashion to build the gas pressure that pushes the bullet out of the case and through the barrel. A cartridge that is cycled into the chamber multiple times can actually push the bullet itself further into the case creating enough compression to turn the controlled burn into a detonation. This is, obviously, not good for the health of the firearm or the person shooting it. Further, the act of repeatedly chambering a round has been known to damage other components of the cartridge like the case or the primer that can lead to malfunctions, stuck cases, or dead primers.

How many times a particular cartridge can be chambered without damage depends on a lot of factors including the weapon used, the type of crimp used when loading the bullet into the cartridge case, the quality of the components used in the manufacture of the cartridge, etc. As a result many rules of thumb have evolved over the years to deal with this problem. Since we're dealing in generalities, I prefer the rule that handgun rounds should never be chambered more than twice. After they've been ejected from the chamber for the second time they should be deposited in a dedicated container for training ammo that is used up at the range. With most carry/duty quality self defense ammunition in most handguns (note the use of the word MOST...always inspect your ammunition) this rule will ensure that setback and other damage to the cartridge never rises to the level of causing a problem.

Do you really need to unload the firearm?

For the most part, when a weapon you intend to carry or use in the home defense role is loaded, it makes the most sense to simply leave it alone. Unless you are forced by some administrative regulation to constantly load and unload your weapon, stick to leaving it loaded unless you have a compelling need for an unloaded weapon like cleaning or dedicated dryfire practice. I've encountered lots of people over the years that seem to think they have to clear the chamber of their weapon every time they go off duty or go to bed at night. That practice makes no real sense for most. If you abide by the rule of chambering a particular cartridge no more than twice, you can see that constantly clearing and then reloading the weapon will get expensive. While I don't have empirical data to back this up, there does seem to be some anecdotal evidence that constantly loading and unloading the weapon leads to more potential confusion about the status of a weapon when you pick it up...which has led to tragic consequences. (I didn't think there was one in the chamber!) Obviously every time you pick up a weapon you should do a standard check of the ammunition source and the chamber to ensure the weapon is in the condition you expect it to be in before handling it.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 07-11-2011 at 09:02 AM.

Outstanding post sir!

Consistent dry fire routine with a "Safe Zone" and Verbal commands ie at end/beginning of session verbally acknowledging that the firearm is loaded/unloaded. I don't know who to credit that but read that here and have made it part of my practice.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Sight picture:

Different manufacturers of firearms and sights usually have one of three different sight pictures -

Name:  sights2.JPG
Views: 1247
Size:  16.0 KB

Image borrowed from hunt101.com

Number 1 is known as the "6:00 hold" where you place the tip of the front sight under the spot you intend to hit.

Number 2 is known by many names, but often it's referred to as the "standard" or "combat" sight picture where the tip of the front sight is placed on the spot you intend to hit.

Number 3 is frequently referred to as "driving the dot", meaning that the dot on the front sight should be placed on the spot you intend to hit.

When you're attempting to shoot with precision in bullseye or on very small targets (like a 2" circle or a 1" square...or a bad guy's ocular window) knowing how your sights are set up can make the difference between a hit and a miss. Also note that using different bullet weights can change the required sight picture as well.

Note to the forum: I'd like to get a list of sights, factory and aftermarket, and tack it on here so that if someone goes out and purchases a handgun or a set of sights they'll know what the manufacturer's sight picture is intended to be. Example:

H&K P30 - stock factory sights use #3, a "drive the dot" sight picture.
    Glock - stock factory sights use #2. Taller aftermarket sights installed on a Glock like Warren Tactical may require #1 with some types of ammunition.

Etc.

The Four Rules Of Firearm Safety

1. All guns are always loaded.

2. Never point the gun at anything you are not willing to destroy.

3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target (and you have made the decision to shoot).

4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
    Help Protect Our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join The NRA

"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less". General Robert E. Lee

Lubrication:

An often misunderstood, maligned or ignored concept. As firearms are complex mechanical devices, they all require a modicum of lubrication. Manually operated firearms may require less than semi or fully automatic arms, and we often hear people express delight that they are utilizing _______ pistol, sans lubrication.

This is not a good idea. Metal on metal contact, especially when heat is involved, requires lube to keep said mechanical device operating at peak efficiency. This is especially true of the AR system. How many times have we witnessed someone experiencing stoppages with their AR type weapon and an application of brand ________ lube remedied the problem? I know I have.

As a general rule, people have the tendency to over lubricate pistols and under lubricate carbines. Glocks and other modern service pistols are sufficiently lubricated with just a few drops of ______, or dabs of _____ grease (slide glide comes to mind). I've witnessed people lubing the striker channel of a Glock as well as ammunition. While lube is good, lets not go nuts. When in doubt, consult the manufacturer or your owners manual.

Additionally, any lubricant is better than no lubricant. We all have our pet brands/types, but if CLP is all that's available at a given moment in time, it's better than running a gun bone dry. Also, don't be afraid to apply and reapply lube as needed. Weapons get hot under use, and lube burns off. I've been known to run my carbines wet and dirty at carbine classes/training, and experienced fewer issues than guys insisting on running them either dry or very lightly lubed.

Lube is your friend.
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 07-11-2011 at 12:17 PM.

Use a holster.

A good holster is to a pistol as tires are to a car. Even if the gun isn't going to be carried, a serviceable holster is an absolute must.

Stay away from flimsy nylon "pancake" designs, and from cheaply produced leather holsters. Stay away from "clip on" designs as well. Further, the words 'retention' and 'paddle holster' should never appear together. You can have one or the other, but not both.

Avoid the Blackhawk! SERPA like the AIDS.

Naturally you won't want to wait weeks or months for a decent holster from a custom manufacturer, so look at companies like Safariland. Proven high quality and safe, by thousands upon thousands of law enforcement officers.

Example: http://www.copquest.com/23-2570.htm

This will do exactly what it needs to, it's affordable, and safe.
    Last edited by JDM; 07-11-2011 at 10:13 AM.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

If you are going to carry a gun for defensive purposes get PROFESSIONAL training.

Also as a beginner, before you decide that the reason that your gun is "off" and you start messing around with sights and modifications have someone that knows how to shoot give it a go.......more often than not it is the newness to shooting that is causing the gun to be "off" not the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by irishshooter View Post
    If you are going to carry a gun for defensive purposes get PROFESSIONAL training
    +1. And when you do, don't worry about trying to be the best shooter in the class. Strive to be the best STUDENT.
    Also be properly prepared for the class- know what's expected of you and have your gear squared away.

This may seem odd, but for newbies who just got their carry permit: have a plan for dealing with public restrooms when you're carrying. Try to use the can at home first to figure out what works and what doesn't before you're at a restaurant and have to suddenly figure out what to do with your carry gun while you use the facilities. And for the love of god, don't be that guy who leaves his carry gun sitting on the toilet tank.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    This may seem odd, but for newbies who just got their carry permit: have a plan for dealing with public restrooms when you're carrying. Try to use the can at home first to figure out what works and what doesn't before you're at a restaurant and have to suddenly figure out what to do with your carry gun while you use the facilities. And for the love of god, don't be that guy who leaves his carry gun sitting on the toilet tank.
    I've been covering that for years in my company's firearms program. People alway look at me like I have 2 heads when I start that module. Once I'm done they are like "YA that was useful".
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

User Tag List