Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iowa PCSO ND

Iowa PCSO ND

Reserve Deputy puts one through the passenger door of a stopped vehicle. Follow up article here. I think it serves as a good training video and subject for discussion.

From my amateur observations he appeared to have way too many things going on at once... It reminded me of Darryl talking about running on the ragged edge at 110 MPH and not being able to process everything going on. Possible sympathetic motor response while going for the door handle? Why not try the door handle before smashing the window? Is it taught as a technique to distract the driver or just an oversight?

Right before the ND, he was holding the gun in his left hand and knocking the window out with his right hand. Then he put the baton away and put the gun in his right hand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From a MMQB perspective there's a lot that of things that reek of poor training, bad policies, poor mindset and not thinking under stress. Chasing the wrong way, running up to the suspects car, standing on both sides of the suspect's vehicle, and getting in a vehicle with a suspect. The guy that did the ND didn't even have his weapon drawn when he walked up to the car

The badguy should be thanking baby Jesus that he didn't ventilated when the ND happened.

The circular firing squad was a disaster just waiting to happen, he's lucky he didn't ND into the suspect or another officer.
    Swapping tools while switching the handgun back and forth between his hands was bound to end up in a confused ND.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Lotsa fail going on there. Serious training issues to resolve.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Failure to apply felony car stop tactics at the end of a pursuit is common, and flies in the face of training. We often appear to have learned nothing from incidents such as Newhall. A copper down in the Dallas area was killed by the suspect a few years ago when he ran up on the car in just this manner.

Breaking out car windows with baton in one hand while holding a pistol on the other, normally involving a switch of the pistol to the non dominant hand, has led to a number of NDs, it's stupid as hell.

For all the folks who never seem to "get" what we teach and why.....this video pretty much encompasses a lot of it. Ideas on triggers for mortals, gun handling, mindset, safety, working in chaos, post and pre shooting activities, etc....it is all pretty much in there.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Watched that again.

There was nothing right with anything in that video. Nothing.

One of the biggest things I invested a huge amount of time and dedicated effort in with my folks was the gun handling/tactics side. That video is why. That crap happens all the time and the only reason anyone is seeing it is due to the ND. Otherwise, everybody would have gotten a "great job" medal.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    The badguy should be thanking baby Jesus that he didn't ventilated when the ND happened.
    The bad guy wasn't actually a "bad guy". He needed medical intervention.

With diabetes rates rising I would expect to see more incidents like this.

User Tag List