Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just got the SA 1911 Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by 505Fire View Post
    Check out 10-8 Performance for sights for your 1911. Very good quality. http://www.10-8performance.com/store...hp?cPath=24_29
    Do you use them on anything?
    Randy P.

About Me

I inspected a range officer the other day. Looks like a lot of 1911 for the money. The M&P pro sitting next to it for $200 less was a lot of gun for the money too. Regarding the sights - I used a chainsaw file to *very carefully* turn a rear sight into a U-notch on my old Colt commander. It was a good improvement. For daytime use, it's hard to beat a fiber optic front / u notch rear.

I have only put 100 round through the gun, but it worked great and a lot of people was interested in looking at it. I think if I can the sights everything else would be fine for me.
    Randy P.

About Me

Tom Givens of Rangemaster offers classes in the Memphis area. I've never trained with him before but I hear good things. I'm sure you could find some AARs online

Quote Originally Posted by randypollock View Post
    I agree that it's the front sight that gets lost to me when I practice with it. Having a fiber optic in the front could be the answer.

The problem with finding good training is I live in Middle Tennessee not the bedrock for training and a long distance trip to a sight like Gunsite is out of the question due to time and money.

I'll ask that question is another part of this forum

I got some good answers to training in my other post.

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...Middle-TN-area

thanks,
    Randy P.

About Me

The Range Officer is a nice gun. With regards to sights, the rear sight is a Bomar type target sight with the LPA cut. There is a significant amount of metal that has been milled off the back of the slide for the target sight to sit on it. You would need to replace it with something made for the LPA cut. If you prefer a fixed rear sight, then you should look at Harrison Design for a fixed rear. As far as the front sight goes, I would recommend Hilton Yam's 10-8 Performance brass bead front sight. Its cheaper than a gold bead. Stands out well in any type of light. If its to dark to see it, you need a flashlight.

I don't care much for fiber optic front sights because they get so dirty while shooting at the range and become ineffective. It is also very easy to damage the fiber optic with some gun solvents. I had a Dawson Precision fiber optic font sight on my Springfield TGO II and hated it.

A magwell could easily be installed by you, but agree that it is a training issue and can be overcome with more practice. I carry my 1911s, so magwells are a no go because of printing issues and weight.

Quote Originally Posted by tmoore912 View Post
    The Range Officer is a nice gun.
    Thanks for the info and link...that front sight could do the job for me. I wonder if I can find a local gunsmith to install it?

Is changing out a front sight a big deal?
    Randy P.

About Me

Quote Originally Posted by randypollock View Post
    Thanks for the info and link...that front sight could do the job for me. I wonder if I can find a local gunsmith to install it?

Is changing out a front sight a big deal?
    On that gun it could be. I think your front sight is slid on the slide and then pinned. Do you have a small hole on the top of the sight like in this picture?

This is the sight picture you will get with the brass bead.

That sight picture to me is much better..right now all I see is black.

I'm not home right now to look at the gun, I'll take a look tomorrow and post.
    Randy P.

About Me

User Tag List