Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: I know it's a bad idea.... (1911 Related)

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    I can't speak about transitioning in and out of SA handguns with thumb safeties as I have never owned one (and will likely never will). However, having just transitioned from striker fired to TDA I can tell you that for me the incorporation of decocking into the manual of arms was a non-issue. I suspect that creating the muscle memory to manage a thumb safety will be just as easy.
    I am in my late forties and have only been shooting and carrying for 7 years or so. I started out with SF guns but made the choice to transition last year to DA/SA and didn't find it a huge hurdle... I continue to dry fire (with lots of work drawing, decocking, reholstering) several times a week... but that is just what I do anyway. I feel I have a lot of time to make up still.

With the 1911-ish SA/TS, though... I'm just not as confident as you on that. I don't have the benefit of umpteen years of experience with that kind of platform and don't feel confident that I could reach (what I consider to be) a satisfactory level of mastery with it in a reasonable amount of time. FWIW, when mixing and matching carry platforms, I see as much danger in not having that TS when you expect it to be there as I do with not expecting it to be there... Personally I just don't to risk being distracted by the (mis)operation of the gun when I have more pressing matters at hand.

To each their own, though. I am, admittedly, quite opinionated on this issue.
    "A man's character is his fate."

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I disagree with that, too. Games are games, not training. I don't know anybody who shoots High Power matches entirely from prone because that's how they'd do it in the Real World©®™.
    My point was that games are fine if you recognize what they are... games. I have met some who don't see the distinction.

Given my limited time and budget, I compete where there is some crossover with my other training and I use the same equipment I carry. That is just my personal choice.
    Last edited by s0nspark; 08-07-2014 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Clarity

Quote Originally Posted by s0nspark View Post
    I am in my late forties and have only been shooting and carrying for 7 years or so. I started out with SF guns but made the choice to transition last year to DA/SA and didn't find it a huge hurdle...
    Our ages and experiences seem pretty similar. Except that I started with revolvers, added SF to the mix for 6 years and dabbled with TDA occasionally, then recently transitioned to TDA full time for semis. The constant is wheelguns. I have always maintained a high level of proficiency with them and will maintain it for life.

I did get a little bent at the poster who immediately went to the e-p33n measuring of "I shoot some competition and I've been to 'tactical' pistol classes..."

I mean "Well whoopty-$#!+, dude! Who hasn't?"
    There are more people that have NOT run their EDC gun(s) than you would assume...

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by knedrgr View Post
    There are more people that have NOT run their EDC gun(s) than you would assume...
    How do you know what I assume? You're assuming an awful lot about me.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

How do you know what I assume? You're assuming an awful lot about me.
    How about you'd stated a fact:

I mean "Well whoopty-$#!+, dude! Who hasn't?"

And if everyone has taken classes and competed, then they should be proficient with the gun they're running or at least, being on their way with learning to operate it well, and once they're comfortable with it, they should feel competent in carrying it.

That was my sarcastic way of responding to your attempt to wave your credentials around in a room where, granted, you can't see the the other participants in the discussion. This isn't really the kind of place where people wear their resumes on their shirts, but certain things are (or were) tacitly assumed in the culture, here.

That was my sarcastic way of responding to your attempt to wave your credentials around in a room where, granted, you can't see the the other participants in the discussion. This isn't really the kind of place where people wear their resumes on their shirts, but certain things are (or were) tacitly assumed in the culture, here.
    Right. And others were saying that one shouldn't "rotate" their other guns into their EDC, or were having some butt-hurt cause I'd broke the mold and says that I carry more than one platform for EDC.

That was an attempt to say that I train with both platforms and are comfortable to carry them. I don't believe in "rising to the occasion," but rather "falling to the level of training."

So people don't just read that it's OK to just add a new platform into their EDC.

For those that recognize their limitation with training or certain platform, then they're smarter than others that aren't so prevalent to knowing.

I prefer to optimize my platforms for EDC so that when it's time to powerstroke the weapons system my muscle memory isn't all downgraded by training scars, allowing me to dominate the battlespace in dynamic critical incidents, yo.

I prefer to optimize my platforms for EDC so that when it's time to powerstroke the weapons system my muscle memory isn't all downgraded by training scars, allowing me to dominate the battlespace in dynamic critical incidents, yo.
    Suddenly I am reminded why I should not be drinking while reading your posts

User Tag List