Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HB60 vs Georgia Weapons Carry License vs Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004

Quote Originally Posted by TumblinDown View Post
    I have no clue whether Starbucks or Target post signs now, but let's say that you carried into one of those establishments. Regardless of whether you saw a sign or not, wouldn't prior notice of their intentions due to widespread news media coverage (or even discussion on forums like this one) suffice? Hard to prove, yes. However, if I recall the language, at least in the case of Target, they "respectfully" asked customers not to carry firearms into their stores. Hardly seems like a strong prohibition. Still, I just go elsewhere... not looking to be a trial balloon, so to speak.
    GA law requires specific notice to an individual.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Water-Man View Post
    A perk you earned the hard way? You must be joking. Whatever you earned you were paid for already. And being held to a higher standard while you were a cop is another joke. Your fellow citizens don't get away with half the things that cops get away with. You're living in a fantasy world and I sincerely hope you get busted for breaking the law as your fellow citizens would.
    Such personal attacks are not tolerated here.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    What JLW said.
    3/15/2016

from LSP972:
    To give a specific example… I do not dis-arm myself when picking up or dropping off my granddaughters at school. That's a violation of the "gun-free zone", since I'm no longer an active, commissioned LEO. But the chances of me getting arrested for it, should I be discovered, are slim (around here, anyway).
    Have things changed? Last time I looked (admittedly a few years back) as long as the firearm was inside the vehicle there was no violation as constitution trumps statute. On a more general note, again because I haven't looked in a few years, IIRC LEOSA originally exempted officers from any GFZ except federal. Has that changed also??
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

No idea. Moot point for me, as I get out and go into the admin area to collar them.

By LEOSA, are you referring to HR218? That I read carefully, and last I looked at it, it was basically the same "prohibitions" that apply to non-LEO CCW permitted folks in our state. IOW, most government buildings, Class 1 liquor licensed establishments, churches (unless the pastor and congregation have agreed to [and met the requirements of] the add-on provision of a few years back) and anywhere placarded or verbally advised by the owner/lessee.

Yes, LEOSA was the original term used to refer to what became HR218, and as originally written it pretty much allowed properly certified folks to disregard all stste-level restrictions on CCW carry, basically allowing LEO retirees to carry anywhere a current LEO could carry. I know it has been through at least 2 revisions since then, I guess I better go take a look at it and get up to speed.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

The legislation and subsequent amendments would be more properly referred to under the banner "LEOSA" rather than HR218, a specific designation for a bill at the time of introduction and passage.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    I'd have to double check, but I think the LEOSA location prohibitions have always been gov't buildings and private property at the discretion of the property owner. LEOSA also has no affect on federal laws, so the GFSZA, federal facilities ban,and regulatory prohibitions (postal property etc.) still apply to current and retired officers carrying pursuant to LEOSA.

This post is not legal advice and it is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

I remember reading it when it was first passed, in 2005 or so, and even back then it had the "no-gun zones must be obeyed" language. I read it again, closely, just before retiring in 2007, and I don't recall any substantive changes. I haven't kept up with any changes, because I don't travel and my retired State Police ID handles any minor annoyances here.

LSP552 travels a lot on the king's business; I'll give him a bump and see if he is aware of any new 'gotchas'.

I did run across one interesting thing today, though. While at the local big-time gun emporium, looking for a VP9, Bubba came in with a box full of trading material; mainly plain vanilla deer rifles, bird guns, etc., but then he pulled out a near-mint 3953, complete with extra magazine. I grabbed the assistant manager, a friend, and told him "I want that."

After Bubba had been taken care of, we did the paper on mine, and I was informed that if I showed my LA CCW permit I could skip the NICS check. I was aware that this was being considered in the legislature, but didn't know it had passed. Moot point; I don't have one. I know several of us retirees were debating the merits of getting one, for several reasons, but I cannot remember now what those merits were, and in any event I never followed up on it.

I'm wondering now if it might be a good idea; but then, any cop in another state who isn't inclined to honor a retired police ID probably doesn't care anything about reciprocity or out-of-state concealed permits, either.

Here's a great primer from the FOP on LEOSA and its enabling legislation (HR218, S1132, HR4310). It's in summarized form, plain language and includes the essentials.

http://www.fop.net/legislative/issue...8/hr218faq.pdf

Is the exemption provided by the law total—can I now carry anywhere at any
    time?

No. The new law exempts all qualified active and retired law enforcement officers from State and
    local laws with respect to the carrying of concealed firearms. These officers are not exempt from
    Federal law or regulation, which governs the carriage of firearms onto aircraft or other “common
    carriers,” Federal buildings, Federal property, or national parks.
    In addition, State (not local) laws which prohibit the carriage of firearms onto State or local
    government property and State (not local) laws which allow private entities to prohibit firearms on
    their private property would still apply to qualified active and retired law enforcement officers.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List