Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1911 Disconnector issues?

Site Supporter
    Well, I finally got around to shooting the RO. Other than stocks and sights, the pistol is stock. Prior to shooting, the gun was cleaned and lubed with Slip 2000, EWL was used on the rails and lugs. At round 191, I began experiencing FTRBs every round. A tap on the bottom of the mag was enough to get the slide moving, but it was clearly hanging up on the disconnector. I did notice that the gun felt undersprung; even when clean, the slide was slooooow to return to battery.

I spoke with our Springfield rep and they'll repair the gun, but if the frame is fubared, they can't and won't replace any pistol that isn't on the CA roster.

So, what's the best fix? Flat wire kit? Heavier Wolff springs? New disconnector? Send it to NH for a Marvel bevel?

Sounds similar to my own RO, though my disconnector was never so tight as you've described (i.e., needing a tool to depress it to get the slide off). I, too, had fairly frequent FTRB.

Comes with a 9# spring. I got the flat-wire guide rod from Wilson and 3 Glock 17 springs; 11#, 13#, and 15#. 13# seemed to work best, and is what is still in it...reduced FTRB, but not eliminate it. I think it's a good move, strictly on the basis of the thing being undersprung, stock. I also stopped fully stuffing my 10-round Wilson mags, leaving them at 9.

Recently got some 'smith tweaks, which included a slight shaping/polishing(?) of the disconnector, among other internal parts. I figured he'd do a Marvel cut, but asked him to use his best judgement; in this case, no Marvel cut. MUCH better, now.

I'd let SA have a the first shot at fixing the thing, first, get the flat-wire (or other, heavier spring setup) while you're waiting for it to come back, then test again to see if you need do anything more.

User Tag List