Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Disconnector issues?

Site Supporter

1911 Disconnector issues?

Well, I've managed to get my grubby little mitts on a Springfield Armory Range Officer 9mm. However, I've noticed that that the slide seems to hang on the disconnector a bit. Out of the box, I can get the slide to stick open if I gently ease the slide forward. Also, when reassembling after a field strip, I have to manually depress the disconnector in order for the slide to ride over the top of it.

At this point, I can't test fire it. Although the gun is paid for, I haven't taken it home yet. Further complicating things is the fact that the pistol is not on the CA Roster, and getting ahold of another is kinda a pain in the neck.

So, is this something I should even be worried about? Will it sort itself out once I get some rounds through it? I know that Springfield has excellent CS and would rectify any issue for free, but I'm not terribly keen on having to ship a new un-fired pistol back to them.

Thanks in advance.

Don't take this the wrong way, but more imaginary problems have been perceived with the 1911 than any other design due to people finger f'ing their pistols without firing them. When you take possession of your new pistol make sure you properly lube it up before firing and I suspect you'll have no problems. A couple of drops of oil on the disconnector should be all you need. If your new pistol performs as well as my RO in .45acp you'll be very happy.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way, but more imaginary problems have been perceived with the 1911 than any other design due to people finger f'ing their pistols without firing them. When you take possession of your new pistol make sure you properly lube it up before firing and I suspect you'll have no problems. A couple of drops of oil on the disconnector should be all you need. If your new pistol performs as well as my RO in .45acp you'll be very happy.
    No offense taken.

I've accumulated a couple of other 1911s (including another Springer) over the years and neither exhibits this particular issue. The pistol has been cleaned and lubed with Rand CLP (paying careful attention to the disconnector) and still can't be reassembled without using a flathead screwdriver to compress the disconnector.

Never seen anything like it. If I read right you own the gun at this point? If so, shoot it, and if it doesn't work send it to Illinois. My recent customer service experience was outstanding.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Never seen anything like it. If I read right you own the gun at this point? If so, shoot it, and if it doesn't work send it to Illinois. My recent customer service experience was outstanding.
    I don't exactly own it. It is paid for, but due to the complexities of California law and our roster of "not unsafe" handguns, I can't buy it from the shop where I work. Instead, I have to ship it to another local FFL that has a Type 7 (IIRC) FFL to temporarily convert the gun into a configuration that meets the CA definition of a single shot pistol so that it meets these requirements:

(b) The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to a
    single-shot pistol with a barrel length of not less than six
    inches and that has an overall length of at least 10 1/2 inches
    when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled.

After the conversion is complete, I get to wait 10 days before taking it home... and turning it back into a semi-auto.

Due to the shipping/transfer/cost issues associated with the purchase, I'd like to make sure that I'm not buying myself a headache with this particular pistol. If this is a situation where I can only determine if the disconnector is a significant problem by shooting the pistol, I guess I'll just roll the dice on it and take a chance on having to ship it back to IL. I was just hoping to find out if the disconnector issue was a red flag.

Relative inconvenience. Either swap it or warranty it, whichever is least painful.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Sicks_Two View Post
    Well, I've managed to get my grubby little mitts on a Springfield Armory Range Officer 9mm. However, I've noticed that that the slide seems to hang on the disconnector a bit. Out of the box, I can get the slide to stick open if I gently ease the slide forward. Also, when reassembling after a field strip, I have to manually depress the disconnector in order for the slide to ride over the top of it.

At this point, I can't test fire it. Although the gun is paid for, I haven't taken it home yet. Further complicating things is the fact that the pistol is not on the CA Roster, and getting ahold of another is kinda a pain in the neck.

So, is this something I should even be worried about? Will it sort itself out once I get some rounds through it? I know that Springfield has excellent CS and would rectify any issue for free, but I'm not terribly keen on having to ship a new un-fired pistol back to them.

Thanks in advance.
    That sounds completely normal for a 9mm 1911.

The solution to this is in current use by Marvel and NHC. They bevel the breech face to reduce the hang up.

I'd have no worries about this.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Relative inconvenience. Either swap it or warranty it, whichever is least painful.
    Will Springfield Armory be able to fulfill the warranty?

Since the OP is acquiring it off roster, if SA has to replace the frame or the entire gun (unlikely for a disconnector issue but may be needed for a future problem) the OP is legally hosed, unless he's in LE.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

OP, google "Marvel Disconnector Cut" or "Marvel Camming Cut". Any good shop should be able to accomplish this.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    That sounds completely normal for a 9mm 1911.

The solution to this is in current use by Marvel and NHC. They bevel the breech face to reduce the hang up.

I'd have no worries about this.

If it is just a common quirk with the system, I can live with it for awhile. The tentative plan is to eventually send the gun to SACS for some work. If it turns out to be a huge bother, I'll have them bevel the breech face while they've got it.

User Tag List