Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Things I learned in my Concealed Carry class

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Thankfully, Indiana doesn't require these classes, which means that any time I find myself stuck in a roomful of Cletii, I have nobody to blame but myself.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

My NV non-res permit class (which also covered the additional material for UT & FL) was OK overall. However, I did have a very difficult time keeping a straight face when the instructors handed out a printout of the "Handgun Cartridge Power Chart" from Chuck Hawks's website, and spent a good ten minutes on the "One Shot Stop" ratings.

I sent a follow-up email to the instructors on a few other things they might consider correcting, but the derpes was too strong around the one-shot-stop topic for me to broach that topic. At the end of the day they did recommend 9mm as the baseline and noted that 380ACP should be considered only if 9mm isn't a good option for a particular shooter.

ETA: Handgun Cartridge Power Chart
    Last edited by TheTrevor; 07-28-2014 at 02:58 PM.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by LorenzoS View Post
    I took a local “concealed carry” class as required to get a CWP in Colorado. It was taught by two retired LEOs. At some point I seriously thought someone might be punking me with a caricature of “bad gun instructor guy.” I really wish it were a joke but some of it is not funny at all.

• Blackhawk SERPA is the ideal concealed carry holster. Unfortunately you won’t be able to use it at some training classes because lawyers.
    • Springfield XD for the win!
    • If you are a woman or a small and weak man you might need to use 9mm. Just be aware you are incurring increased risk due to the lack of stopping power.
    • Black people. ‘nuff said. Brown people too.

Most of that is the standard derpitude, but this one bothered me enough to make me open my mouth for a bit, until I realized it was useless and shut up just to get it to end:

• George Zimmerman was just doing his job as neighborhood watchman that night.

Whatever, I got the required paper. But I’m not feeling very good about ‘Murica right now.
    I just don't get the fascination with the SERPA or the XD. I really don't.

You're a better person that I am. I'd have walked out.

Here at least they have to cover state laws as related to self defense and UOF and such. State mandates the basic curriculum. There is retardery, but that info has to be covered so that's a plus. Some of the stuff in this thread would get a KS CCH instructor pulled from the program.

Frankly, I think no training is way better than stupid training.
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 07-28-2014 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    I'd have walked out.
    I came very close when the Zimmerman subject came up. Using Z as an example of someone "doing his job" as an armed civilian was almost my breaking point. I kept reminding myself I was just there to get a certificate.

Sounds like quite the learning experience, in that "what's wrong with this picture?" sort of way.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTrevor View Post
    God help me, I once compiled something like that Ammo Aspie Table, but I got over it.

If I took all the time I wasted obsessing over ridiculous things like that, and had spent it at the range instead, I would be fearsome.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I've got a friend who attended a course in Virginia years ago where the instructor was clueless regarding lawful use of force. She told me that the instructor insisted that if someone broke into your house, you were obligated to grapple with them before going for your firearm, even if they presented an immediate and lethal threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Here at least they have to cover state laws as related to self defense and UOF and such. State mandates the basic curriculum. There is retardery, but that info has to be coevered so that's a plus.

Frankly, I think no training is way better than stupid training.
    That is a no-kittener, right there. First: do no harm.

Fortunately, my training to date has been almost entirely derp-free (minus any baggage i brought to the table myself in decades past). In a fit of trying to protect future generations, here's ID's take on what is necessary for their "enhanced" permit; developed as a vehicle for perfect reciprocity:

(iv) The course includes instruction in:
    1. Idaho law relating to firearms and the use of deadly force, provided that such instruction is delivered by
    either of the following whose name and credential shall appear on the certificate:
    (A) An active licensed member of the Idaho state bar; or
    (B) A law enforcement officer who possesses an intermediate or higher Idaho peace officers
    standards and training certificate.

2. The basic concepts of the safe and responsible use of handguns;
    3. Self-defense principles; and
    4. Live fire training including the firing of at least ninety-eight (98) rounds by the student

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    God help me, I once compiled something like that Ammo Aspie Table, but I got over it.

If I took all the time I wasted obsessing over ridiculous things like that, and had spent it at the range instead, I would be fearsome.
    According to the chart, if I shoot someone six times with .32ACP Winchester Silvertips, there's only a 0.26% chance they'll still be moving, treating each shot as a potential "one shot stop". Amazing!

I prefer to find the union of the sets "ammo which delivers good results" and "guns what are reliable and I can shoot pretty good" and work on improving the latter. Unfortunately it seems that's too straightforward for many, leaving aside the problem of convincing gun people that some test results are more trustworthy than others.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

User Tag List