Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Things I learned in my Concealed Carry class

Things I learned in my Concealed Carry class

I took a local “concealed carry” class as required to get a CWP in Colorado. It was taught by two retired LEOs. At some point I seriously thought someone might be punking me with a caricature of “bad gun instructor guy.” I really wish it were a joke but some of it is not funny at all.

• Blackhawk SERPA is the ideal concealed carry holster. Unfortunately you won’t be able to use it at some training classes because lawyers.
    • Springfield XD for the win!
    • If you are a woman or a small and weak man you might need to use 9mm. Just be aware you are incurring increased risk due to the lack of stopping power.
    • Black people. ‘nuff said. Brown people too.

Most of that is the standard derpitude, but this one bothered me enough to make me open my mouth for a bit, until I realized it was useless and shut up just to get it to end:

• George Zimmerman was just doing his job as neighborhood watchman that night.

Whatever, I got the required paper. But I’m not feeling very good about ‘Murica right now.

Oh man that sounds as bad as the last renewal course I took. The instructor was a full of hot air blowhard, who just wouldn't shut up. He spent more than half the class extolling his training 'credentials' and how he could "make more money training folks seriously, but teaches CHL for fun". Worse there was some friend-of-podunk-Sheriff in the room who kept whooping and hollering and making me really want to give someone a swirlie.

I just remember that for me the final straw came when we were sitting there and the instructor did a classic move, "I am the only one in this room properly trained to respond if a shooter came in this room right now!" I didn't even bother to raise my hand, I just shouted out, "With what gun would you be responding?" The holster on his hip was empty and he'd just got done extolling how he never carries a pocket-gun, because shooting someone with one would piss them off. It got really quiet in the room before friend-of-sheriff also now sycophant-of-instructor responds with, "Well what gun are you going to shoot a badguy with?" Having had enough of them I did something I would normally never do, "The one I wore in here concealed, you idiots." And that's when it became clear by the responses, in a CHL class, the guy sitting next to me and I were the only ones actually carrying guns...

Finally after about 20-billion hours of stupidity we were finished and allowed to leave. Man that was awful...

-Rob

<-- vows to work "derpitude" into his vocabulary.

Fortunately, my CCW qual class years ago wasn't too bad. No major strutting male egos or racial overtones to contend with (at least instructor-wise.) But it appears I am fated to deal with those egos in our monthly "combat match" at the club. I'm slowly learning who to avoid though.

Derpitude.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

The culmination of my CCW class was the "instructor" firing a suppressed .22 into a phonebook, inside of his living room, in an attempt to impress the students. The guy is highly praised on the local NV gun forum.

Site Supporter
    My TX CHL instructor introduced himself as a former SEAL (unlikely, but I didn't ask him to prove it.), told us unbelievable stories about him using his gun for SD in his home and avoiding the involvement of police after shooting in intruder in the very building we were then sitting (he was refurbing his house to be an office). Not only was he bad on believability, he was worse on TX law. I had to ask "clarifying" (read "leading") questions several times, so that the other folks in class would not walk away with bad information.

Thankfully there were only 5 of us in class. Myself and two older couples.
    As we were leaving class at the end of the day, I suggested to the other folks that they read the Texas CHL statutes.

I'm very glad that renewal classes were removed from the TX CHL requirements last year.

Had an excellent instructor for my original NC CWP back in '97. Local Deputy Sheriff. Did a great job explaining NC Use of Force laws.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

It's a good thing the average person with a CHL/LTCF/etc will never need to use a handgun in anger. I've renewed mine once already (but being a first time renewal did not need to retake the class), but based on what I saw in my original class plus what I routinely see in gun clubs and ranges, I don't hold much hope for them.

Speaking of derpitude, this past Saturday at the local gun club I watched in amusement as a couple in their early sixties fired round after round at shoot-n-see targets about five yards away and missing with about 95% of their shots.

Any of ya'll report these concerns to whoever oversees CCW instructors in your state?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Any of ya'll report these concerns to whoever oversees CCW instructors in your state?
    Chuck, here in Colorado there is no state CCW curriculum or oversight of instructors. As best as I can tell there is simply a requirement to get some type of training. I believe I could have used prior NRA classes from when I lived in NJ, but thought it would be easier to avoid hassles by using a local instructor.

This is probably better than nothing for many citizens who would otherwise have absolutely zilch in terms of instruction, basic understanding of State laws or basic concepts of use of force. But the bar is definitely very low.

No. I have learned to not imitate that Castillian gentleman who fought against windmills.

Chuck, I did not report him to the state. I did write a lengthy complaint both to the instructor and the range that holds the classes. I later received a call from the range owner and we discussed it at length and he decided to go with another instructor after hearing about the derpitude of this guy.

-Rob

User Tag List