Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: slide lock fell out of my G19 while shooting

Quote Originally Posted by DBR View Post
    I have done 4000fps video of several Glock models. For some reason during recoil the G19 slide lock bounces up and down almost its full range of travel several times as the slide cycles. I observed this on two Gen2 G19s and a Gen3 G19. This means the slide lock spring is seeing two or three up and down cycles every time a shot is fired or about three times as many cycles as the recoil spring.

I did not see this phenomenon on several G17s, a G22 or a G27.
    DBR: That is interesting. My problems with the spring came with a fairly low round count (2300 rds) Gen 4 G-19. Extra bouncing like that could cause premature wear, especially if the spring was improperly heat treated.

Still in the mail, but it turns out the gen 4 compact guns have different spring than the gen 3s. Will post if it corrects the problem or not.

http://www.glockmeister.com/Slide-Lo...uctinfo/G8073/

Site Supporter
    Yes, see post #7. They're longer.

I have done 4000fps video of several Glock models. For some reason during recoil the G19 slide lock bounces up and down almost its full range of travel several times as the slide cycles.
    That's very interesting, but it's hard for me to do a "thought-experiment" as to why that should happen; the slide-lock spring isn't a stressed part, and even though the slide lock bar itself comes in for some battering, it would seem that the force should be pretty much in a linear posterior-to-anterior direction, with little or no superior-to-inferior component.

Also, how such "bounce" would happen with some models and not others is odd, since the slide action is similar throughout the model range.

Interesting to see what it looks like, if you have access to a post-able form of the high-speed video.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

The video was done as part of a consulting job I did investigating a different Glock function. The "bounce" was an incidental observation. I don't own the rights to the work product so I can't post.

One thing that comes to mind is each Glock model (frame size) has a different barrel tilt angle as the slide cycles. This might have something to do with why one model acts differently from others.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Yes, see post #7. They're longer.
    I'll be darned.

Site Supporter
    The video was done as part of a consulting job I did investigating a different Glock function. The "bounce" was an incidental observation. I don't own the rights to the work product so I can't post.

One thing that comes to mind is each Glock model (frame size) has a different barrel tilt angle as the slide cycles. This might have something to do with why one model acts differently from others.
    You haven't seen the FBI BRF's high speed video of a G22, I bet. It shows the multiple slide lock bounces also. No confidence is inspired in the gun at all when you watch it.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

If it was a problem, and I would submit that it isn't, how hard would it be to make a slide-lock-blocking plug (to fill that void and stop the bounce)?

Wayne, I haven't seen the FBI video but I would like to. Do you have a link?

Check out "fxhummel" on youtube and his repeated issues with the Gen4 slide lock, Glock giving him crappy CS, etc. etc. Finally fixed.

User Tag List