Page 78 of 121 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast

Thread: New CZ P-07 = Mind Blown

Site Supporter
    Stupid fliers...even though it's only 20 yards, I do think this gun can shoot a hundred at 25 yards on a B8. Assuming the user headspace is correct of course.

Still...97-2x isn't awful. And no, the 8 wasn't the first DA press lol

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Stupid fliers...even though it's only 20 yards, I do think this gun can shoot a hundred at 25 yards on a B8. Assuming the user headspace is correct of course.

Still...97-2x isn't awful. And no, the 8 wasn't the first DA press lol
    But was it the first SA (following the DA)? That can be just as likely a candidate.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    But was it the first SA (following the DA)? That can be just as likely a candidate.
    Possibly lol.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Safety Testing the CGW Extended Firing Pin

I had a little free time today, and completed a project I've had planned for a while.

The CGW Extended Firing Pin (EFP) is part of the ProGrade Kit, and can be used separately as well. The EFP is the key to using lighter hammer springs. In my guns, I have determined that springs as light as #13 are reliable.

However, the EFP is longer than the OEM firing pin, and protrudes slightly from the breech face when under pressure, even when the FP safety is engaged.

This was concerning to me for obvious reasons. Therefore I tested if an impact to the EFP could fire a round in the chamber. I used empty primed cases: Federal HST 147, and my own handholds (Winchester primer). I tested two of my guns, one with a full Prograde Kit and 6000+ rounds through it, and a new P-07 with the EFP.

I whacked the EFP with a punch and a hammer three times. No ignition.

The primers looked like this, with a visible but small indentation:

I fired the gun normally, and the primers ignited. The cases looked like this:

Conclusion: a very hard impact to the EFP while the FP safety is engaged will not ignite even soft Federal primers.
    I have been rereading this post... I am not sure we can come up with this conclusion after this experiment involving 2 cases. The primers are visibly impacted. I popped up several Federal primers on my Dillon 650. I have loaded tens of thousands using Federal primers with no problems however... I removed all extended FPs from all my carry CZs. I ended up having to use stock main springs. I love the feel of the lighter trigger but I just don't trust it enough for the carry guns.

New CZ P-07 = Mind Blown

@cheby, remember that unlike a USPSA Shadow2, the P-07 decocks to a robust decock notch, and is carried in that condition. I’m satisfied that it is safe, given that the hammer is held by the notch, and the firing pin block seems to prevent ignition of even soft primers after hard impact.

But everyone has to make their own decisions about safety.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    @cheby, remember that unlike a USPSA Shadow2, the P-07 decocks to a robust decock notch, and is carried in that condition. I’m satisfied that it is safe, given that the hammer is held by the notch, and the firing pin block seems to prevent ignition of even soft primers after hard impact.

But everyone has to make their own decisions about safety.
    Fully agree with Clusterfrack on this. I was concerned at first as well. However, I have a P07 and three P09s with the same CGW parts and never had an issue. There are plenty of P series guns out there with the same parts with no reported issues. But, you have to do what is best for you for sure. @cheby, if it would help you could call CGW and speak with David about your concerns. He would gladly go over this with you I would bet to put your mind at ease.

Quote Originally Posted by claymore504 View Post
    Fully agree with Clusterfrack on this. I was concerned at first as well. However, I have a P07 and three P09s with the same CGW parts and never had an issue. There are plenty of P series guns out there with the same parts with no reported issues. But, you have to do what is best for you for sure. @cheby, if it would help you could call CGW and speak with David about your concerns. He would gladly go over this with you I would bet to put your mind at ease.
    Oh I did discuss this with both CZ Custom and CGW when I got my first CZ carry gun. Back in 2015. (BTW what do you expect David would tell you if asked about his product??) Since that I have had over 15 various CZ pistols and shot the shit out of them to the points of breaking slides, barrels, and frames. I also saw the warning on the Patriot Defense extended FP package for Tanfo Stock 2 even though a Stock 2 has a FP block. Specifically addressing this issue. Stock 2 is a clone of CZ...
    Dillon is not selling its 650 presses any more and replaced it with 750. I have both. The only difference is the primer system. They were selling 650s for many years. You could only imagine how many millions of rds were loaded on them without any issue. But it takes one bad accident to see it differently. I personally had several primers went off on my 650 for the last 6 years. Enough for me to get concerned. The primers in the pictures above show the impact regardless of the decock notch. That is what got me thinking it was worth discussing

A while back I bought a used P07, supposedly with a CZC trigger job. The gun had the CZC Extended firing pin and retaining pin, as well as some other parts.

Whoever did the trigger job got a little overzealous on polishing the sear. When pressing the decockerthe gun would FULLY decock, meaning the firing pin was touching the back of the primer, making a tiny dimple not unlike the one Clusterfrack got from slamming his with a mallet.

Obviously concerned, I took the gun to the range and loaded a round of FMJ (maybe Magtech?). I cocked and decocked the weapon 50 times, exposing the same round to 50 taps from the firing pin. It did not ignite, and still ignited normally afterward. I loaded
    Up a round of HST and did the same thing, with the same result.

I ended up switching that sear out for a stock sear which solved the issue and then sold the gun, but in the meantime it gave me a pretty good feeling about the mechanical safety of a decocked CZ. Your conclusions may vary.

I also found that CGW tends to be more aggressive with their work and parts compared to CZ Custom. I broke several their EFPs for example. There are a few threads on Brian enos about their springs. Essentially, they do not last compared to others. I think you can achieve a nicer trigger with their parts but you should be aware that you could be pushing on the verge of reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    I also found that CGW tends to be more aggressive with their work and parts compared to CZ Custom. I broke several their EFPs for example. There are a few threads on Brian enos about their springs. Essentially, they do not last compared to others. I think you can achieve a nicer trigger with their parts but you should be aware that you could be pushing on the verge of reliability.
    That is good to know. Do yoy know roughly how many rounds and/or dry fires before they tend to break?

I have not broken any of their parts but it sounds like you are doing a lot more shooting and dry fire than I have been. I was thinking it would be good practice to replace the firing pin retaining pin about once a year on the gun that gets the bulk of my dryfire, it wouldn't be too much trouble to also replace the firing pin while I'm at it if needed.

The length of the CZC and CGW EFP was about the same so I would think they would be interchangeable in a discussion about safety.

User Tag List