Page 42 of 121 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast

Thread: New CZ P-07 = Mind Blown

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    From CGW:
    "TECH TIP: Why not a solid firing pin retaining pin? We tried that and found that a solid pin will soon damage the firing pin, causing peening. This peening or mushrooming of the firing pin causes the pin to drag in the firing pin channel = light strikes. A solid firing pin retaining pin can also get stuck in the slide. We have machined several from customers slides that would not drive out.

Install the 61100 spring steel retaining pin with the open end at the 12 0’clock position."

I have had good results with the CGW tempered pin
    So have I, much better than a stock pin, it's pretty much problem free. Reading CGW's tech tip, shied me away from the solid pins, mainly because they have been known to get stuck in the slide..
    Last edited by ralph; 09-04-2018 at 01:21 PM.

I’ve completed 2 range days with the P-07 (CGW Pro-Grade + Polish). Each day I used my reloads with relatively hard CCI primers. I also exclusively used JMCK 2.5 AIB holsters. @Tony Mayer

Day 1

The first day was all about comparing the P-07 from an JMCK 2.5 P-09 AIWB rig with a G-19 from an JMCK 2.5 G17 AIWB rig. In the P-07 I was running the 15 lb Gold “Defense” hammer spring and it was 100% with CCI primers. DA was about 8lbs- and SA about 3lbs. The Glock has a ~3.5-4.5 lb press, +/- depending on how I run the trigger gauge.

I ran the Gabe White Standards, Plate Racks, etc. Both guns ran flawlessly, maybe 200 rounds each.

I think I shoot the P-07 a little better, maybe 5+% BETTER, but not a LOT better. I think this would improve with familiarity as I would have less ‘loss’ going back and forth between (mostly) the Tanfo Stock 2 and the G19.

I think the P-07 in a G19 holster rides a little more comfortably than A G17 in a G17 holster. Not sure why.

Subjectively, I prefer the handling of the P-07 to the G19.

Day 2

Today, in the second test session I decided to try out the 13 lb Blue “Competition” hammer spring. Before anyone gets excited I literally could care less what the manufacturer labels a spring weight - I’m much more interested in the results of my testing with MY ammo. For practice I like to test with relatively hard CCI Small Pistol Primers. I also have a good collection of much more forgiving Win and Win Magnum SPP’s, as well as damn-near foolproof Federals that I use for matches. For carry I prefer Federal HST 147gr, which presumably use Federal primers.

If I can run many hundreds of rounds of CCI primers across many sessions totallying many thousands of rounds without a lite strike, I’m pretty sure I will be able to light off Federals when I need to. There is a benefit to having a lighter and more controllable trigger, DA in particular.

With the Blue 13 lb spring I have a DA of 7.5-8lbs (still varies more than I like) and an SA of 2.75 lbs (more consistent) which is pretty close to my heavily sprung Tanfoglio Stock 2 competition guns. One of my goals is to have a carry gun whose trigger more closely matches the gun that I get 10’s of thousands of rounds on practice in with during the year. Yes, with all that practice, you’d think I would be better.

Anyhow, I ran the tar out of the P-07 today, shooting probably 500 rounds in about 2+ hours. I ran everything from AIWB concealment (more on that later). What did I do?

Draw drills from concealment to warm up - 8” plates.

More Gabe Wite Standards - I’m running “Light Pin” level of performance pretty consistently but will not be a threat to earn a Turbo Pin unless I make a significant improvement to my draw.

Plate racks from 10, 15, 20, 25 and 30 yards.

Ben Stoeger Dot Drill. I wasn’t that far off when I can do with Stock 2, adding about 0.5 - 0.75s for my slow-ass AIWB concealed draw

Transition drills across 6 x 8” plates, plus separate 8”, 10” and 12” plates, widely dispersed.

Individual Plate drills, using a double stack of barrels as hard cover, at 15 and 25 yards.

Initial Thoughts:

- The speed of my concealed AIWB draw needs work. Part of my challenge is getting a good grip and I think the butt of the pistol is simply too close to my belt line. I have anothe set of holes in my JMCK 2.5 P-09 holster that I can adjust to to add some breathing room to, and I’m in the process of drilling 2 more holes to test even more room. I think I can conceal with a higher ride just fine, but testing is required.

- Overall my performance was good. Speed was high and I had a gread deal of confidence in quickly hitting 8” steel at any range I was shooting.

- The P-07 ran flawlessly, including no light strikes using the Blue 13 lb Competition Hammer spring. This is extremely promising, but I’d like to see this at a higher round count. I got the gun hot and kept it hot. No issues.

- I did surprisingly well on my first pass of dot drill with the P-07 - I even caught myself using target focus on 2” circles at 7 yards and holding it together on occasional, brief strings of one-hole groups.

- I haven’t seen any issues with the gun falling to half-cock on a DA pull.

Overall - I LIKE. I could see taking a calculated risk by promoting this gun to carry duty immediately, and with a lot of confidence if it continutes to perform like it did today.

I’ve been experimenting with the higher-ride holes on my JMCK 2.5’s and have drilled a set of even higher-riding holes that I’m experimenting with - using either (adds cant) or both.

I’m not sure whre I will end up, but I am positive that I prefer the original higher-riding holes with about 2 finger widths of clearance quite a bit more than the lower-riding holes.

I also think the longer P-09 holster (theoretically reduces roll-out, and provides more room for my longer, suppressor-ready barrel config) is a little more comfortable higher, at least for my build, when I sit or bend over to pick something up.

If all thise seems incredibly picky - I enourage you to take a swing at the Turbo Pin level of the Gabe White Standards. It matters!

Name:  C12603D5-38D7-486E-B184-546FB9B09417.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  46.9 KBName:  9D05A721-672F-4D68-B21C-2B4C64C7F47E.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  67.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 09-17-2018 at 12:14 AM.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

The P-07 came with a single stupid 10 round dimpled magazine. I bought a few more - a 15, a 15 with a +2 extended basepad (really like this in the P-07) and a 19 from a P-09.

At $45 a pop they are stupidly expensive. Anyone got a bead on a cheaper source?

I decided to pray to the FSM, and with a little help from a drill, a carbide burr, some elbow grease and a dremel with a silicone carbide stone, my magazine was HEALED!

Behold, the 15 round practice mag formerly known as the OEM 10 round mag!

You could go to jail in Cal for doing that.

P-10c mags for $33.
    http://gregcotellc.com/cart/cz-facto...-actmag-c-173/
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I finally broke down and ordered a 15 rounder for mine. I love the 17rnd setup but sucks for concealment.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    You could go to jail in Cal for doing that.

P-10c mags for $33.
    http://gregcotellc.com/cart/cz-facto...-actmag-c-173/
    I live in free ‘Murica. Cali can go ... oh wait, this isn’t the Pfestivus thread.

I heard a rumor they were the same, haven’t looked it up.

I like the 15 +2 - conceals fine for me AIWB and I get a better grip on the draw.

Pic: 10 converted to 15, 15, 15+2 basepad, 19. And yes, the basepad on the converted 10 is definitely different.

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    I live in free ‘Murica. Cali can go ... oh wait, this isn’t the Pfestivus thread.

I heard a rumor they were the same, haven’t looked it up.

I like the 15 +2 - conceals fine for me AIWB and I get a better grip on the draw.

Pic: 10 converted to 15, 15, 15+2 basepad, 19. And yes, the basepad on the converted 10 is definitely different.
    Luxury of aiwb.

Dry fire work with the adjusted JMCK AIWB holster ride is showing great promise in helping me hit the 1.0s draw times required for Turbo Pin status on the Foot Court Standards, oops, I mean Gabe White Standards.

It doesn’t help that my finger is on the slow side. To pick up any speed (0.20 average is GOOD for me) I really need to get the grip just right to be able to control recoil with my weak hand while leaving my strong hand relaxed, preferably with just the fingertip on the trigger. Otherwise my finger runs slooooow and I get trigger freeze.

I NEED a rash guard - all mine are at the lake house. My belly is bruised and tender from draws, and a double cotton T-shirt is protective but warm and tends to get in the way over time.

I shot some draw video and might even be willing to share it with you ghouls. Working on an upload.

Draw video - as threatened.

I modified my holster set up and draw technique a bit to try to hit a 1.0s par time. Holster is riding higher. Weak hand is moving shirt away in a slight circular motion from strong to weak side. Strong hand is coming in straight strong side to weak side, letting my pointer finger impact the underside of the frame as opposed to coming down on the grip.

This is MUCH better than. I was able to do at the range Sunday but I need more practice and live fire testing..

User Tag List