Page 16 of 120 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: New CZ P-07 = Mind Blown

Ah. Good info. I have the extended firing pin and spring with the 18lb hammer spring. Was thinking about getting the short reset stuff to put in it soon

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Those with the primary machine comp, what holster are you using?

And what about with comp + wml?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirolynmonbro View Post

Nick from practical tactical is using a surefire + PM comp with a squared away customs holster https://www.squaredawaycustoms.com/ (I am using one for a Glock and have no complaints for quality)

Another option would be to ask Tony Mayer if he could do one for you.
    Last edited by Artemas2; 02-18-2018 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirolynmonbro View Post

My P-07 rides in a JMCK AIWB Claw #1 for P-09 + X300. A couple minutes with a heat gun made it compatible with the PM comp
    "A man's character is his fate."

Had an interesting malf with my new p07 today. First 200 rounds. Chamber is empty. Also in DA the hammer was falling to the half cock notch, but that was self induced from over adjusting the trigger bar spring. I was able to fix it at the range. Name:  2297EFC5-DAA9-45D7-8268-1E83F028D667.jpg
Views: 1979
Size:  79.5 KB
    Last edited by NerdAlert; 02-23-2018 at 07:59 PM.

Mostly-OEM P-07 Update PART 1.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Tell me more about the trigger improving. Since the Pro kit is $365 plus shipping and a long wait to have Cajun install, and I have a few stock carry 07/09 pistols, I am on the fence about sending them to Cajun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Good question. Short answer is if you're willing to spend an hour or two working the trigger, you probably don't need to send it to CGW. If you're in the market for a new P-07, buying it directly from them with the kit installed is a good way to go. If you want to carry a gun that you understand mechanically, then installing the kit yourself like I did is a good project.

NOTE: There are two potentially problematic issues with the P-07/09, but both are easily solvable.

1) The guns are not designed to be dryfired. "Unprotected" dryfire smashes the firing pin into the FP retaining roll pin, causing damage to the roll pin. Eventually, this can cause a malfunction where the FP does not move freely. I insert a half a foam earplug between the hammer and firing pin to protect the FP roll pin from peening. I also installed a CGW tempered steel roll pin that resists damage.

2) As with other CZs there are reports of trigger return springs breaking. This appears to be much less of an issue in the P-07/09 than with the CZ-75 line, and my OEM trigger return spring has been fine so far (thousands of cycles). The obvious solution is to replace the trigger return spring with a CGW spring, which I used in my Shadow 2's. These are very durable, and can last for over 50,000 cycles.

Now on to the break-in process:
    I cleaned the gun, lubricated the action with Lucas grease and oil. Then I dryfired the gun in DA for a few hundred cycles. Think of this as a workout for your trigger fingers. I used compressed air to blow out the sear area, and re-lubricated with grease.

Next, focusing on rough spots in the single action pull, I worked the trigger repeatedly without dropping the hammer.

The result was dramatic. DA pull dropped from over 13# to 8# [But see below], the low end of the published spec for this gun. The SA pull smoothed out as well. Now if you aren't familiar with them, the OEM gun is hard to distinguish from the CGW ProGrade gun. The CGW P-07 has a crisper SA break, and a slightly shorter reset.

Note: A different trigger gauge now measures 9#, with the CGW Reduced Power TRS.

Am I glad I spent the time and money to install a ProGrade kit on one gun? Absolutely. The gun is amazing. And it was worth it to learn how the P-07 works and to gain confidence in the design. It's a remarkably simple and well-engineered system. I especially like the ability to tune the weight of the SA pull using the CGW increased weight sear springs. Since I carry it, I chose the heaviest 0.020" spring to increase the SA pull to 4# in the ProGrade gun (stock weight is listed as 3.3 - 5.5lbs).

"You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

New CZ P-07 = Mind Blown

Mostly-OEM P-07 Update PART 2.

I replaced the trigger return spring in my stock P-07 with the CGW TRS because of the added durability. It is supposed to reduce the DA pull by about 1/2 lb. I had a hard time noticing or measuring a difference in the DA pull. It is 9# on the trigger gage I have (different from one I borrowed earlier). However the SA pull was measurably lower, around 3.5#, I swapped in a CGW heavy sear spring (0.020"), which brings the SA up to 4.25 to 4.5#, actually heavier than with all OEM springs. I think this setup is perfect for a carry gun.

Note that if you retain the roller and decocker cam with the punch you used to drive out the sear pin, you can lift the sear, replace the sear spring, and put everything back together easily. The biggest PIA in the process is setting the decocker spring on the decocker. I made a tool that looks like this to do the job:

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 05-31-2018 at 10:15 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by NerdAlert View Post
    Had an interesting malf with my new p07 today. First 200 rounds. Chamber is empty. Also in DA the hammer was falling to the half cock notch, but that was self induced from over adjusting the trigger bar spring. I was able to fix it at the range.
    I have had that same malfunction with a P-01 and a PCR, but luckily not with either of my P-07s. I think the issue is with the magazine in my case, but it's just a guess. It's not very confidence-inspiring to stovepipe a live round, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    The biggest PIA in the process is setting the decocker spring on the decocker.
    Indeed! I hate that dang spring. I've taken to using a small locking hemostat to set it.

In days past, I had several steel-framed CZs worked over by David at Cajun Gun Works and they were great, of course. When I switched tracks and picked up the Omega-based P-07s I decided (with David's encouragement!) to try installing the ProGrade upgrades myself.

Having done 4 guns now, I strongly second the notion that these upgrades are totally doable by mere mortals, especially if - like me - you are not one to polish internals. I prefer to let parts wear in naturally since mine are primarily carry guns... and I see the biggest benefit of sending guns to CGW being their expert polishing job. A secondary benefit is they don't bat an eye at having to deal with the (frightening) sear cage on the steel framed guns... hehe

One side benefit of doing these upgrades myself is that I really feel like I "own" the platform I depend on the most.
    Last edited by s0nspark; 06-01-2018 at 07:31 AM. Reason: clarity and grammar
    "A man's character is his fate."

1) is there an armorer’s video for the 07/09, or another good source of info beyond take it apart and then figure out how to get it back together?

2) an upcoming project is to take a P07 and have Primary Arms direct mill a Shield RMS in front of the rear sight.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List