Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Attacked by a dog

Site Supporter
    Well, here's a mess for you. Houston TX area...

Dog dies after being shot at Bay Area dog park

http://www.click2houston.com/news/do...-park/30913058

Owner of dog fatally shot at dog park speaks out

http://www.click2houston.com/news/ow...s-out/30933418

Supposedly, the shooter's dog is all chewed up, and efforts to separate the dogs prior to shots fired were unsuccessful.

I was at a dog park when a pitbull almost killed another dog. The owner of the injured dog had to put his fingers all the way up pit's nose to get it to release. The other dog was seriously fu, and nearly died. It would have been a justifiable use of deadly force. The pit owner was a totally clueless hippy.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post

All in all I have a MUCH greater respect for the power of a pissed off dog than I used to. I have had dog issues as a cop, but have never felt the need to shoot a dog. A kick or aggressive voice has run off many, and some potato chips or beef jerky has defused some situations. I like dogs and don't want to hurt one, but Being on the receiving end, I don't think I can allow myself to get bit again. Immediately losing one arm is a bad way to start a fight. And If I wait until I am bit to start fighting, I might not be able to get it off of me.
    same here. Much greater respect after multiple incidents. This is why my use of force threshold is lowered with dogs. I also do not go hands on a dog to diffuse a situation.

If your situation happened while being alone and possibly with a pack of dogs, you probably wouldn't be here typing your story out.

Not to mention, if you were a little kid or an old man or woman, your survival chances go down very ,very fast.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I was at a dog park when a pitbull almost killed another dog. The owner of the injured dog had to put his fingers all the way up pit's nose to get it to release. The other dog was seriously fu, and nearly died. It would have been a justifiable use of deadly force. The pit owner was a totally clueless hippy.
    I've tried to break up those fights before and almost got chewed up myself. My lesson learned there was not ever to get into a dog fight. The dog is prepared to go to a deep dark place that you are not. Their pain tolerance is infinite. you literally have to mechanically separate the dog or break something in its nervous system to make it stop.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by bkpker View Post
    Certainly good points, but I would tend to think that all animals (humans included) would also have many of the same dynamics in effect in a critical stress situation or adrenaline dump. Pain tolerance goes up, critical thinking goes down etc no matter the species. I think that many dog attack situations aren't the full on "I'm gonna kill and eat you" type of attack, and I think our use of force model should allow for recognition of this (if possible) and allow for a lower bar than going straight to deadly force immediately all the time (as you articulated well in your last sentence).
    Oh yeah...for sure. I know the difference between the dog trying to intimidate me and give me some warning barks and aggressive posturing...and a dog trying to kill me.

I guess my main point is that you have very limited communication options with a dog, dogs don't know things like consequences as well as humans do, and although human's pain tolerance does go up, a dog's is almost infinite when it is in kill mode.

As always with any use of force, civilian or law enforcement, there are liabilities that should be considered. Many pet owners would be more apt to sue you over a use of deadly force on a dog than they would on a human. Im not saying that we shouldn't use force because we are concerned with civil liability, but I don't think its wise to assume that because its "just a dog" that that somehow eliminates civil or criminal liability from the equation.
    Yeah I hope this came through in my first paragraph. And I have another anecdote in this very thread where I was menaced by not only a dog but the dog's owner after firmly establishing my displeasure of their pit bull chasing me down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Biting through a full size NFL football takes some power. I should have been more respectful of that power.
    I once owned a wolf hybrid that would carry around a 16 lb bowling ball.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I once owned a wolf hybrid that would carry around a 16 lb bowling ball.
    What? No bag for the ball? Isn't that animal cruelty? [emoji12]
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    What? No bag for the ball? Isn't that animal cruelty? [emoji12]
    She would hook her incisors into the finger holes and then tote it around the back yard for funsies.

Hey, it kept her entertained.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    She would hook her incisors into the finger holes and then tote it around the back yard for funsies.

Hey, it kept her entertained.
    Amazing. When I was 17 I visited a wolf hybrid ranch in New Mexico. The owner Michael Belshaw had written a book that I read and I had an amazing visit there. Beautiful animals.

Here's the book of anyone is interested:

http://www.amazon.com/All-Loving-Wol.../dp/1878610023
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

User Tag List