Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lessons from Stewart Shootout

Same in other high risk fields. Read the Challenger reports. Most people confuse luck with skill.

Site Supporter
    I believe it was the crew at PFC Concepts who suggested that there is a difference between a high risk entry and an opposed entry. You may be successful at high risk operations only until someone is crazy or motivated enough to take a shot at you.

It has been sometime since I read the Oakland AAR and I don't recall the specific roles of the two officers who were reinstated. I did just read Kyle Lamb's "Leadership in the Shadows", he spoke well of Oakland SWAT, but remarked that their commanders has no SWAT experience.
    Last edited by jnc36rcpd; 07-29-2014 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    One of the great failures I see, in LE or .mil, is the failure of first line supervisors to actually supervise. You are no longer "one of the guys", you are the person responsible for making sure standards are met.

That dudes went of a hit with no extra ammo, no vests, no long guns, no pre raid recon, poor pre-planning, a SGT that should have been on light duty but didn't want to be (no idea where his supervisor was....), etc., is a train wreck or repeating failures.

Little things can turn into big things. One guy forgets a magazine, no big deal,,, until it is,,,, and if you let that go then where is the line drawn?
    I have a few friends, solid conservative types; but they are IMO carried away with this "militarization" of police theme. They expect LE to conduct themselves like neighborhood policing and all Mayberry polite until more is warranted on arrest warrants. It's just not that simple.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

As stated earlier, it sounds like complacency had a lot to do with the outcome.

The team serving the search warrant was made up of officers from the Weber County Sheriff's Office, local police departments and the federal Drug Enforcement Administration...

The unit's commander, So. Ogden City Lt. Darin Parke said that "other than the outcome" the investigation that led to the plan to search Stewart's home was like any other.

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
    As stated earlier, it sounds like complacency had a lot to do with the outcome.
    Train for the 2%ers.

It is so much easier to dial down to a diminished threat, than expect everyone to perform above their training and experiences on the day.

I will say that I made a big mistake reading the comments on the posted article. Nothing like reinforcing my belief that most people are simply alive because its illegal to kill them, If this was not a public board I'd offer my comments on what I'd like to see happen to Erna Stewart and her oxygen thieving XXXXXXXXXXX.
    Last edited by KevinB; 08-05-2014 at 11:04 AM. Reason: language party foul
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I have a few friends, solid conservative types; but they are IMO carried away with this "militarization" of police theme. They expect LE to conduct themselves like neighborhood policing and all Mayberry polite until more is warranted on arrest warrants. It's just not that simple.
    Being prepared and professional is not incompatible with being polite until circumstances dictate otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post

I agree. I'm living with that crap almost daily.

Everyone wants Barney and Andy, until the North Hollywood bad guys hit their bank and take their wife and kids hostage, then they want Andy to magically transform into a combination of RoboCop and Delta Force and take those dudes out, but in a nice way, shoot the guns out of their hands and not disturb a hair on the bystanders/hostages heads.

The problem with the US currently is that so many people in the past worked so hard to "make a better life for my kids so they won't have to live through what I had to" that the kids and grandkids are now completely out of touch with reality.

These are photos of what the officers were wearing on their raid, taken from this article.

This photo shows an official Weber Morgan Narcotics Strike Force hoody worn by one of the officers as he entered Matthew David Stewart's house in Ogden on January 4, 2012.

^This^ was posted while I was posting.

Cops should never, ever, ever go to someone's house on a warrant dressed like scumbags. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Cops should never, ever, ever go to someone's house on a warrant dressed like scumbags. Ever.
    I'm in complete agreement. I am not defending the guy, or trying to justify his actions, but if those dudes came rolling through any one of our doors it'd be a bad day for everyone...

2 more photos of other officers involved. Supposedly, the bearded dude was dressed like this in on the raid as well, picture from court verifying ID.

User Tag List