Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Speed strip setup and weak hand reload.

Mike - Split-Six style speed loader is what you're looking for, one that straddles the belt. These are my favorite kinds of belt-based speed loader carriers. The biggest problem I've found with them is, I don't like snaps/flaps as retention devices and there are only one or two split-sixes that don't rely on snaps to keep the loader in place. Barranti's Speed Pouch: http://www.barrantileather.com/New_Products.html (about half-way down the page), marks the first time I have seen a leather one. I haven't handled one in person, so I cannot give an opinion on how well it works.

Here is a setup (for all of you carrying speedloaders) that works like a charm: http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/p....aspx?pid=CD-6 - The CD-6 alone is not sufficient to keep a speed loader in place, they wiggle loose frequently, the steel just doesn't have the tension to keep a slick sided speed loader in place, even if you bend it in (you need to with the 5-round J-Frame loaders), whether it be an HKS or Safariland COMP, whatever. You need to add some tension and after some late night brainstorming I realized the easiest solution. A CD6 + http://www.staples.com/Staples-Econo...product_831636 - Put the CD6 on the belt, insert speedloader, wrap a rubberband, a hair tie, or even a properly sized rubber O-ring over it and ET VIOLA! Properly tensioned, open-top, speed loader pouch, that straddles the belt. Works like a champ, I run two of these inline, in front of my holster (if at 4 o'clock) or behind the holster (if AIWB).

I have jogged, worked out, worked full normal days, driven, etc with this setup for about 3 or 4 years now and it works. In fact, I even rigged one upside down on the off side strap of my upside down shoulder rig and drove 500 miles with it and it didn't so much as shift. I will admit, if you run a rubber band/hair tie it gets kind of irritating to practice drawing them from the belt, you have to reloop the band every time you draw. The best solution is a rubber o-ring, so you can pull it off and roll it back over the top once you insert the loader. I just took the biggest and smallest speedloaders I have and CD-6 down to the autoparts store and tried a bunch until I found ones that fit. I forget what sizes they are now, I want to say 1.25" inside diameter for J-Frame, and 1.35 or 1.45" inside diameter for L-Frame loaders, but don't quote me, best bet is to try out an assortment yourself.

I ran a few different holsters AIWB for a revolver, but can't find anything that works better than the SN-2 from Bobby Mac's: http://bobmacs.com/products/holsters/iwb - Southnarc & Co designed a great AIWB holster for a revolver on that one. Pricey yes, but you know that old aphorism - Buy once, cry once.

-Rob
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 07-25-2014 at 07:59 PM.

IMHO, if you have to try to reload a snubby under pressure, in a fire fight, your technique may well be the least of your worries. I carry a 5 round speed loader, and hope that I do not have to use it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    LSP972 where do ... you typically carry your reload when in civvies?
    I'm retired; civvies all the time for me now. I had a few thin leather snap-flap pouches made that are clones of the old pouch Bianchi used to make for this purpose; they fit on my belt. They are just large enough to hold a Bianchi Speed Strip. I have one on the belt at all times.

Keep in mind, my M-360PD is a secondary. Sometimes it is in my pocket when around the house; but I stopped using a snubby J frame for a primary/"only" off-duty piece long ago…. in September of 2005, to be specific.

David Armstrong, I am definitely not trying to reinvent the wheel, just trying to find out what works best for me. I am not really a huge fan of the 5 inline or 6 inline because I don't feel that I have the same manipulation control at speed. I have some nerve damage and prefer to have a better grasp on the speed strip vs the scalpel method I have seen used.

Rob I am certainly going to order a CD6 and give it a shot. Once I have it in my hands and pickup a few things you may get a PM. I will give it a fair shake though I think I would like to stick to speed strips to keep the mechanics the same for reloads since I carry a speed strip when its a bug. I can see the advantages and possibility of switching as time goes on but I'll have to wait and see.

JJN thanks for the recommendation on Michael de Bethencourt at snub training.com. I also found a review about him on here so that looks like an excellent place to start. Some of his videos I've seen are also excellent.

LSP, thanks for the reply. Are those pouches pretty flat? I like to keep my gear as low profile as possible. I hate looking like that guy with the colostomy bag or gun/gear tumor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Are those pouches pretty flat?
    Very flat.

PM me your e-mail address, and I'll send you some photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I run a Bianchi speed strip with four rounds, fastest way I have found to use a strip for the reload.
    Quote Originally Posted by JJN View Post
    Check out Michael de Bethencourt at snub training.com. He has some very well thought out ideas on this.
    After much trial, error, and validation, my choice is the MdB method. Four rounds on the strip, one empty at each end, peeling the strip toward me.

In the time required to load a fifth round into the cylinder, you can almost load another four.

Useful exercise: Take your J and fire twenty rounds reloading as needed. First run with 4ea five round strips, second with 5ea four round strips. Compare times.

Also of note: You could carry a 6 or 8rd strip, but are you really going to retain those extras when you need to be shooting?
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post

Keep in mind, my M-360PD is a secondary. Sometimes it is in my pocket when around the house; but I stopped using a snubby J frame for a primary/"only" off-duty piece long ago…. in September of 2005, to be specific.

That the prior arrestee and buddies who thought they could whip up on the off-duty trooper in the grocery store thingy?

I'm still a bit lazy and occasionally find myself in shorts and T-shirt with just a 642 and 2 speed strips in the summer. I load my strips all the way and haven't noticed any real difference, FOR ME, in carrying them that way. This is strickly a low threat environment outfit.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    That the prior arrestee and buddies who thought they could whip up on the off-duty trooper in the grocery store thingy?
    Nah; that one made me realize I had BETTER have iron on me at all times. Good thing I did that day, for sure.

I'm talking about all the wonderful new residents we picked up in the area post-Katrina. Want an eye-opening experience? If you haven't yet, get somebody in The Puzzle Palace to show you the BRPD crime stats for July 2005, and September of 2005.

Timers don't lie.

Skintop911, thank you for the review on MdB it was excellent. I took your challenge by the way, even though I am unable to get to the range right now. What I did was bust out the snap caps, and man was that eye opening. What I did was load my 642 with some spent casings and my speed strips with some snap caps. I timed myself from full extension, expulsion of spent brass, retrieval of my speed strip from my pocket to being topped off and back to full extension. These times are by no means perfect since I had my 11 year old time me but I believe them to be pretty close. I ran ten runs total. First 5 runs using MdB method then alternating to 5 runs using my method and so forth.

Times loading 4 rounds using MdB method Bianchi strip. The time where I pulled a 5.9 second time I completely botched the reload and dropped a round only loading 3 rounds total.
    5.9, 5.7, 5.5, 5.5, 5.3, 5.2, 5, 5, 4.8, 4.7 averaging 5.26 seconds.

Times loading 5 rounds using my method with six on the speed strip 2x2x2 method on Quickstrip.
    7.2, 7, 6.5, 6.4, 6.4, 6.3, 6.3, 6.2, 6.1, 6.1 averaging 6.15 seconds.

The conclusion I have come to is that the 5th round isn't worth the extra squeeze as Skintop911 pointed out. 5 seconds is a freaking long time when on a two way range and I am not looking to add another second to that. I can see why there is a lot of hesitation to carry a revolver and why Doc posted what he did about the, "new J frame." The J frame is definitely going to be, low threat attire or a BUG only. I am going to take some of the other members recommendations and try to find speed loaders that will work and carry well with what I typically wear so I can at least have one in conjunction with the speed strips. I can't thank you all enough for all the info/insight and critical thinking that you all prompt.

LSP972, I sent you a PM with my e-mail address. Thank you for your help.

Mike, nice job on putting the timer to it!

If you have a smartphone, the Surefire Shot Timer app is very nice, it not only works at the range, but I find setting a par time and trying to meet it with dryfire is an excellent way to challenge yourself to get better. For reloading drills, I like to run dry FAST drills. Put your targets on your safe dry-fire wall and set a par time of 10 seconds and work down from there. I've found from a dry run to a live run, I have to add 1.5-2 seconds to get the drill down. Reloading from the belt with a speed loader is faster than reloading from the pocket, but the SL in the pocket is still faster than a speed strip.

-Rob

User Tag List