Thread: Extended range session and range shooting with a 2" model 60

Site Supporter

Extended range session and range shooting with a 2" model 60

Last night I took my 2" Model 60 J frame to the range and was very happy with the results. Most of my shooting was done at 25 yards at a 8" gong as well as a 6" plate rack. Simply because I wanted to see how I would perform at distance. I shot 150 rounds 100 being LSWC and 50 being LSWCHP +P. This morning my hand hurts and my finger has a blister that makes writing with a pen at work really sucks. I was using the discontinued Uncle Mikes boot grip. I wanted to try my Hogue monogrip but I couldnt find the stirup that the screw goes in. I found that after shooting a while and getting hot that the gun would jump out of my hand. I know most of this was fatigue but some was the fact my hands had gotten sweaty. I like the current grip for pocket carry but I rarely pocket carry. I am considering a Pachmayer grip because that is what I am using on my K frame. Oh well it was a good time. I came home to order more ammo and Georgia Arms says they are out. That stinks.

My youngest son has an M60.

Impressively accurate for a gun with such a short sight radius.
    It was used and came with Herrett grips that are longer and slightly beefier than the
    Uncle Mike's boot grips.

I recall the buzz when S&W brought them out. Gun mags were running tests that included
    burying the gun in mud, leaving it out in the rain, and dunking it in salt water. It passed all
    of them with flying colors.

They were very hard to find back then and are still scarce where I am.
    I heard that a lot of the first production runs ended up as "personal weapons"
    with U.S. troops in Viet Nam.

Site Supporter
    The one I have a 60-14. I have had various J frames over the years and this one I like the best. I never enjoyed shooting any of the air weights I had. I enjoy shooting this one. I never shoot 357 from it but its an option. I don't like pain. I realize the J frame is not designed to shoot for extended periods or at extended distances but I wont carry a gun I am not confident enough in it and my ability to shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    The one I have a 60-14.
    Coincidentally, I saw one of those at a FLGS. Between it having a lock and the "Lady Smith" package it did not interest me but if anyone is looking for one, he has it listed on Gun Broker S&W 60LS
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

YouTube vid shooting the snubbie...

Edmo
    Last edited by Edmo; 07-26-2014 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    The one I have a 60-14. I have had various J frames over the years and this one I like the best. I never enjoyed shooting any of the air weights I had. I enjoy shooting this one. I never shoot 357 from it but its an option. I don't like pain. I realize the J frame is not designed to shoot for extended periods or at extended distances but I wont carry a gun I am not confident enough in it and my ability to shoot it.
    Word
    I find the steel framed 357mag J frames fun to shoot and can be highly accurate. 148WC or 158SWC at 38spl pressure are soft. Even my 98 pound wife like shooting the 125 Nyclad in her M640.

Like you I don't like shooting AW or worse scandium. But I do pocket carry a M642. That may changed down the road to a 22lr / 22mag forget the M # but they are more expensive than the 38/357 J frame according to S&W website.

User Tag List