Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: White Light "Negligent Discharges"

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    My bad, then.

Still, I don't get the seeming flat refusal of people to entertain the notion that what's important in a night ambush position in the Hindu Kush is not necessarily what's important to a state trooper writing a ticket on the side of the highway which is in turn not necessarily what's important to some chick getting accosted by a dude in an Atlanta apartment building driveway.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    This-for the win. There are huge differences in applications. With that said, each of the above can do things that will be of an advantage to them with white light use (or not to use), and all of them can screw things up and make it worse. One of the biggest benefits to the time I spent with Ken Good is that we both got to take some application stuff away from each others "world" that we could cross apply. The mission application is critical. As Pat Rogers says, "mission drives the gear train", and that also applies to the tactics and applications train.
    Aha I finally figured out multi-quoting.

It is all as I quoted out of Jack (F2S's) comment. Both you and Darryl makes good points, my aim is not to get folks complacent about white light ND's as there is a big difference about accidentally triggering ones light in the bedroom as opposed to walking down a hallway that opens into you main entrance (where your threat may be), and this applies in the LE world as well.

If you're conscientious about when and where to apply light your not going to XXXX it up when needed for real.

We can run warrants till 22:00 (we must knock or enter the doorway by 10pm) - so for certain people to visit, its much easier (officer safety) during low light to surround and prep for entry using NOD's, and all your effort goes to naught if Kick Door Turn Left #2 puts 500 lumens thru the window due to carelessness with the light.
    The same goes for late at night trading fire around your car and you are moving to avoid fire and you light yourself up.

To me it is so much easier to instill good L&L discipline for everything than deal with the consequences of inadvertent careless use later, for carelessness becomes a habit - the same with piss poor gun handling.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    To me it is so much easier to instill good L&L discipline for everything than deal with the consequences of inadvertent careless use later, for carelessness becomes a habit - the same with piss poor gun handling.
    I see what you are saying now.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Trust me, I am not advocating being a dumb ass or careless by any stretch.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I think we are all on the same page - just the way its articulated on the net is different.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

Banned
    Howdy,

I'm Ol' Skool so I have never used a PML. Actually I had to stop and think for a second what PML stood for.

Back in the "Day" we where trained that a person holding a flashlight was an easy target. Most people are right handed and hold a flashlight at mid chest level when searching with a light. So, based on this, you guesstimate where COM is at and you blast away.

Same is true with a PML, SML or CML.

Nowadays if I shoot anyone at night it will either be inside my home and I'll be using a 12ga pump w/ "OO" buckshot, or I'll be at the local "Stop-N-Rob". I have LED nightlights throughout my home so no need for a light and at the "Stop-N-Rob" there will be plenty of light there so no need for a firearm mounted light.

A ND from a PML isn't strong enough to effect a person's vision long enough to matter, but it will signal the person's position to everyone in the area.

I just do not see where having a firearm mounted light is a good idea when going against an armed person that intent on killing you. Especially it he is already in the dark room/house/building. This adds another thing to his advantage.

My background: Veteran and PMC

Just my $.02 and your mileage may vary.

Paul
    Last edited by Stengun; 08-12-2014 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Typo

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Stengun View Post
    ...but it will signal the person's position to everyone in the area.
    If he doesn't know my position already, how is he robbing me?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    If he doesn't know my position already, how is he robbing me?
    You're not supposed to consider the most potentially relevant actual requirements of your own situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Stengun View Post
    I just do not see where having a firearm mounted light is a good idea when going against an armed person that intent on killing you. Especially it he is already in the dark room/house/building. This adds another thing to his advantage.

Well he is gone now so hopefully the signal to noise ratio drops back down.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    Well he is gone now so hopefully the signal to noise ratio drops back down.
    He must have been financially compensated by Advil.
    I'm pretty immune to internet silliness; this is the first time that I have actually gotten a headache within the first two sentences of a post in a long time...
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

User Tag List