Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Federal Champion 9mm keyholing

I called Federal about this about two months ago... out of my G34, I was getting keyholed shots at 5 yards. I tried it in my g19 and in my 9" barreled subgun upper on my m16... same thing. Thank goodness I didn't shoot w/ my 9mm can that day.
    "I want to see someone running down the street with a sims-gun shrieking 'I am the first revelation' " - SouthNarc

I tried a few boxes and was very disappointed with the ammo. Very dirty, not accurate and the ogive of the bullet was funky.

I'm used to Federal American Eagle and this ammo just didn't cut it for me at the range. I'll spend a bit more and avoid this junk. YMMV.
    Help Protect Our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join The NRA

"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less". General Robert E. Lee

Getting my range bag ready tonight I was fumbling wround with some ammo, Federal Champion. While loading a mag one of the projectiles fell out of the case! WTH??? Glad I'm running short on this ammo cause I will not be buying anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Garner View Post
    Getting my range bag ready tonight I was fumbling wround with some ammo, Federal Champion. While loading a mag one of the projectiles fell out of the case! WTH??? Glad I'm running short on this ammo cause I will not be buying anymore.
    I as well had a FC 9mm bullet fall out of a loaded case IN THE MAGAZINE recently. It dumped powder all over the place inside my pistol.

At my local WM the price on the ammo in question went up a dollar a few weeks ago. Now the savings per 100 is negligible compared to WWB 100 count, so I probably won't be shooting anymore of this anytime soon either.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    I as well had a FC 9mm bullet fall out of a loaded case IN THE MAGAZINE recently. It dumped powder all over the place inside my pistol.
    I a bullet fall out of a case too, 9mm AE 124.

Had one (115 gr) that was dead as a doornail today. Neither pistola could fire it.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Feel like I need to add to this thread. I went out shooting today, and was easily putting 10/10 rounds into a 2" circle at 5 yards with 147gr American Eagle. I then fired a 1 year old box of 115gr Fed Champ I had laying around, and it was WILD. No keyholing, but my groups instantly opened up to 5"+ at 5 yards.

I don't usually comment saying "ammo a was more accurate than ammo b" given the gun is most likely way more accurate than I am, so any difference isn't going to be noticed at 5 yards offhand due to the ammo. However, to go from sub-2" to 5"+ upon switching ammo types, that's definitely the ammo.

I was quite disappointed. I hadn't any problems with Federal Champ in over 2000 rounds until this box. Looks like I'm out $9.47 + tax.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I don't usually comment saying "ammo a was more accurate than ammo b" given the gun is most likely way more accurate than I am, so any difference isn't going to be noticed at 5 yards offhand due to the ammo. However, to go from sub-2" to 5"+ upon switching ammo types, that's definitely the ammo.

I was quite disappointed. I hadn't any problems with Federal Champ in over 2000 rounds until this box. Looks like I'm out $9.47 + tax.
    Econ priced 115 gr fmj has gotten so bad, I am now confident telling my pusher - yeah, I CAN outshoot this ammo, I need some 124 gr Blazer (which I found across 4 cases this year to be much more consistent than others).
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I realize this is an old thread, but at last month's Pat Mcnamara class I shot 2 cases (1000 rounds) of Federal Champion 115 gr 9mm out of a Gen 4 Glock 17. I averaged 12-18" groups at 20 yards on an NRA Bull target. It was extremely aggravating and frustrating. WWB groups were 1/3rd the size. I bought the ammo earlier this year. There was no consistency at all from the rounds. They would impact randomly on the target.

Later I shot the gun from a bench and there was little to no improvement. I wish I would have found this thread before ordering 3 cases.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Econ priced 115 gr fmj has gotten so bad, I am now confident telling my pusher - yeah, I CAN outshoot this ammo, I need some 124 gr Blazer (which I found across 4 cases this year to be much more consistent than others).
    My reloads have always been able to outperform factory stuff, especially 9mm. Friends ask me why I bother reloading 9mm and accuracy is the answer I give.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List