Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magazine extensions for 45ACP/10mm Glocks?

Magazine extensions for 45ACP/10mm Glocks?

I've been looking at the various mag extensions available for the large-frame 10mm/45acp magazines to reduce the number of reload cycles a bit at an upcoming class. On one hand, I'm 99.9% certain the Arredondo +4 extensions would be reliable and work right out of the box. On the other hand, I'm having a very hard time spending $40 each on +4 extensions to expand $25 magazines.

The common alternatives seem to be the Pearce +2 at $9.50 and the Glockmeister +2 at $12, neither of which comes with a longer spring.

There's also the Kriss +17 extension, but I figure I'll hold off on that until Rogers next year.

Good/bad/indifferent experiences with any of the +2 extensions?

Given the new springs in my standard-capacity G21/41 magazines, should I be worried about spring pressure for the last few rounds with the +2 extensions?

These would be for range/class use, not for gaming in L10 or carry.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

How cool would happy sticks be for those models? They don't have to be as long as the 31 round 9mm mags. More like those 20 or 22 round .40 mags that were briefly floating around a few years ago. Over run from a govt order I think. Not sure about that. They were FDE colored IIRC.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

The Kriss extensions are the next best thing. Possibly a little better, because you can convert between pistol and SMG length as needed.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/

I understand your intention, but I'm not a big fan of magazine extensions-I think you'd be better/more reliably served simply by getting more basic OEM magazines...

Best, Jon

As I understood it a few years ago, the OEM +2 extensions, when combined with the G22 magazine springs were considered GTG. I understood there wasn't an equivalent reliability +2 for the G20 or 29 (which I assume translates to the 21/41/30).

What would interest me about extensions for training or USPSA, would be the ability to easily disassemble the magazines for cleaning, after being dropped into certain types of dirt/sand.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The Arredondo kits work great

GJM, great point on ease of disassembly. Glock mags are ridiculously hard to take apart compared to HK mags.

The Arredondo kits come with a disassembly tool and are said to be much easier to remove than a baseplate.

Another reason for my interest in mag extensions is that I'd like to play around with a mag well on the G41 at some point.

I shot 1,000 rounds in the Proctor class you're probably gearing up for, and I ran a 1911 on day 1 and ammo management wasn't a big deal. I use a dump pouch to carry extra mags, and replenish my double mag pouch as needed from it. Just get a bunch more reduced capacity magazines so you can have at least 50 rounds on you. I remember a few months ago you were dead set on anything more than 10 rounds.
    Last edited by HopetonBrown; 07-23-2014 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I shot 1,000 rounds in the Proctor class you're probably gearing up for, and I ran a 1911 on day 1 and ammo management wasn't a big deal. I use a dump pouch to carry extra mags, and replenish my double mag pouch as needed from it. Just get a bunch more reduced capacity magazines so you can have at least 50 rounds on you. I remember a few months ago you were dead set on anything more than 10 rounds.
    I'll have 8 magazines total, 9 if Glock is expeditious about replacing the defective 10-rounder that broke yesterday. Six of those will be 13-rounders.

I believe I stated that I was not comfortable publicly using a magazine with capacity >10rds that could not plausibly have existed pre-2000. The Glock 21 (which shares magazines with the 41) was commercially available well before 2000, and 13rd G21 magazines were readily available. Fortunately for me I squirreled away a bunch of standard-capacity magazines for guns I didn't even own before the ban kicked in.

As long as you have a Maglula you'll be fine.

User Tag List