Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Annoying Rightness of Bolke and Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post

Couldn't agree more. It's not that slowing down is something that can necessarily be avoided in giving a shot its due care. It is simply an unproductive way to think about a marksmanship problem and what's necessary to solve it. A much better way to think of it is in terms of being more careful. If that happens slower, then ok, that's what was apparently necessary. But frequently careful shooting gets done just as fast as reckless shooting and the real difference is in the root intention and mindset of the shooter.
    Case closed as far as I am concerned. Forget shooting fast or slow, shoot carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post

This is where the "splits" thing rears it's head in my observation. It's not very often we have a target where we can safely go cyclic. I've run through dozens, if not hundreds, of FoF scenarios where I have to spot shot my adversary, one shot at a time, at a pace where I can get hits. It's a very real issue that your "spot" will move or reorient and you'll have to pick a new spot to shoot.
    Again, shoot carefully. Alternatively, give John and other coppers a DAK trigger in their Sig, and it will take care of that fast split problem right away.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

Again, shoot carefully. Alternatively, give John and other coppers a DAK trigger in their Sig, and it will take care of that fast split problem right away.
    I thought it was well established here that the LEM would be best for that...
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

I've shot a few sim scenarios like that -- the best ones are the ones the Sim Operator can alter on the fly.

To me what this illustrates on a Macro level is why we need 4 plus types of training (square range paper, FATS style sim, FoF sim, and live 360degree 'houses' with reactive targetry).

Quite often in the "run n' gun" aspect does not make shooters account for the real life realities of everyone moves - bad guys, good guys, and unknowns.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

In support of sim training, virtually all high level flight training (jets and turboprops) is done in a simulator. It is not uncommon to get type rated in a new aircraft in the simulator, and then make your first flight in that aircraft, with no specific training beyond what you did in the sim. The type of emergency training you can do in the sim is often much more difficult than what you would in the real aircraft, because fear of crashing and death in the real aircraft has this habit of limiting what you do there.

Thank you for the additional comments John, and everyone for the discussion.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Case closed as far as I am concerned. Forget shooting fast or slow, shoot carefully.
    Well, YA!

Fast or slow - sometimes easier said than done. IT does become easier when you have good FoF or FATs training. something that a lot of people can't either afford or arrange for in their training regimen.

give John and other coppers a DAK trigger in their Sig, and it will take care of that fast split problem right away.
    In all seriousness not really. My splits with my 686 revolver are routinely .1 second faster than my splits on my M&P with Apex goodies installed.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by rsa-otc View Post
    In all seriousness not really. My splits with my 686 revolver are routinely .1 second faster than my splits on my M&P with Apex goodies installed.

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    Some of the fastest shooting ever done on this planet, with handguns, has been done with S&W revolvers.

Fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Some of the fastest shooting ever done on this planet, with handguns, has been done with S&W revolvers.

Fact.
    especially if Jerry M has his glass of chocolate milk first.

Site Supporter
    For the scholarly in intent - check out

http://www.investigativesciencesjour...load/5382/3750

See the section on time to stop shooting.

Here's one bit of info:

Number of Shooters Firing Extra Shots 25
    Percentage of Shooters Firing 0 Extra Shots 31%
    Percentage of Shooters Firing 1 Extra Shots 44%
    Percentage of Shooters Firing 2 Extra Shots 17%
    Percentage of Shooters Firing 3 Extra Shots 8%

User Tag List