Thread: LaserMax guide rod lasers?

LaserMax guide rod lasers?

We all know the reputation of these things. I had written them off years ago after a few coworkers had bad luck with them (failure to hold zero, breaking). So I was surprised to see this positive review on Modern Service Weapons, though it is with an admittedly low round count (1,500 rounds): http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=9683

It got me wondering about these again, even though I should know better. I am a big laser fan not only for low light applications, but also because I have weird eye sight (one eye is 20/20 and the other is very near-sighted with an astigmatism). Unfortunately, I've had rotten luck lately with CTC grips. Does anyone have any recent experience with LaserMax's guide rod lasers? Are they holding up any better than they did ten years ago? Setting aside the issues with activation, not being able to adjust zero, etc., I'm curious if they are actually working and not breaking under moderate round counts (i.e. 500 rounds per month or more).

Can't answer about recent quality control, but the difficulty I see with the LaserMax products is their uniform requirement for activation via a distinct "separate step" of some sort (typically pushing a button sideways).

While this is fine in a practice setting or if there's time to anticipate a confrontation that requires a firearm, it's fantasy to imagine it actually being activated in a genuine, sudden emergency which requires a sidearm response.

The CT products have their drawbacks too, but at least they're all "automatic", that is, they activate reliably just with grip pressure.
    Last edited by SAWBONES; 07-22-2014 at 05:12 PM.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

I was surprised to see the MSW write up as well.
    I had one installed in a XD45 probably 3 years ago and when it works I liked it. The problem was that the activation was not consistent. It seemed to be just a poor/flimsy design at the activation end of the guide rod.
    The article really got me considering a green one for a glock.

User Tag List