Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Argument for fiber optics on a carry gun?

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    For those that have been using FO sights: which brands have you used and how have they held up? Are 10-8, Warren, and Dawson all GTG?

The Taran sights actually advertise exposing more of the FO rod which isn't appealing...
    Mine have been Warrens and Dawsons...

One thing that may affect GTG-ness is the rod itself. I have had some fiber rods that seemed more glassy and brittle whereas most of what I've used felt more flexible. Anyone have thoughts regarding durability of thinner vs thicker fiber? With one exception all of my pistols are running 1mm front. The 1.5mm on my XDs seems like it would be even more durable once properly installed.

(To echo what has already been said, proper installation matters a lot. I actually had a gunsmith start to superglue the fiber in on a new sight install... when I saw what he was doing I had to step in and show him "The Way" LOL)
    "A man's character is his fate."

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    JAD, you really have been floating out there in BHP/1911 land. I thought being a PF member required the ability to recite each of the P30 variants, what combination of parts makes a TLG LEM trigger, and all the P30 sights available.

Kidding aside, Dawson makes a FO front, which a number of folks have paired with a 10-8 rear. I had a Dawson rear, as I recall, with my FO front. If you aren't in too big of a hurry, when I get to lower 48 next, I may even have a set of Dawson FO sights I pulled off a P30 you can have.
    Dude, I didn't even know that 10-8 made P30 sights.

PM inbound.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Are there credible front FOs available for the P30? Is there a good black rear to match them?
    10-8 and Dawson both make front FO and black rears for the P30.

My g34 had warren fo front and black rear with no issues. Sample of one I know so YMMV.

Excellent discussion with valuable concerns from both "sides". Very interesting, thanks.

Is it time for the red vs green FO discussion yet? :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Robert Vogel runs FO front sights on his competition, LE Duty, and CCW pistols and reports no problems. He seems to be a relatively serious shooter who runs his pistols fairly hard, but what do I know, I am just a dentist...
    I really hate to cite "My sensei said..." but Frank Proctor said he puts FO on everything now and Mike Pannone said he is moving to FOs on everything as well (he said an article was coming soon on the subject).
    "I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine." - Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by dookie1481 View Post
    I really hate to cite "My sensei said..." but Frank Proctor said he puts FO on everything now and Mike Pannone said he is moving to FOs on everything as well (he said an article was coming soon on the subject).
    Obviously Frank and Mike have been lurkers on PF.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Most people here are big fans of lasers, and everyone adores CT grips on their J-frames, but it seems like few people use them on their carry autos. It seems like a good way to mitigate the downsides of FOs.

Quote Originally Posted by punkey71 View Post
    Is it time for the red vs green FO discussion yet? :-)
    LOL - you know it's coming!

BTW, red...
    "A man's character is his fate."

Quote Originally Posted by s0nspark View Post
    BTW, red...
    Green.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by s0nspark View Post
    LOL - you know it's coming!

BTW, red...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Green.
    Aaaand they're off!

User Tag List