Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Argument for fiber optics on a carry gun?

I only do FO fronts. I have snapped a dawson, but have never broken a 10-8 and attribute it to the additional channel in the middle. N of 1 but I prefer the additional support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    <Matthew 10:28>

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have taken to using a green FO and painting the front sight orange, making for good contrast with the FO and a fine back-up in the element fails. Heinie tritium on left, FO on right:

I have been thinking about this and if it would be feasible/functional. I'm not too surprised that you've already done it GJM, lol. Thanks for sharing that photo. I need to replace my sight holders on my G19 with some functional sights very soon.
    I know the Taran Tactical FOs came up in another discussion recently. I like the look of them but I don't know if there is a better, readily available option out there. I'll ad, I'm used to HDs on my G17 (aka 19L) that I carry and shoot regularly.

For the folks that are breaking fibers - how did you install them? There's definately a right way and a wrong way.
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post
    For the folks that are breaking fibers - how did you install them? There's definately a right way and a wrong way.
    I am not breaking them, but what is the right way?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post
    Truth.

Dawson's recommendations:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mx2Hg06Q4Y

t

Site Supporter
    Truglo - nice sights BUT using them them on a IPDA gun, they weren't. Drew the gun and guess what - there was no fiber optic in the front sight. Just a hole. It vanished into the void.

No weird usage except drawing and shooting at dangerous cardboard bad guys.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    MRDS - you heathens...
    That's just not an option for a lot of folks. Cost (more than the base gun) or employer policy are just two reasons.

But you got the heathen part right, brother!

MRDS - you heathens...
    hehe - maybe someday. I have a CZ SP-01 coming and may investigate the option of having the slide milled, etc ... but cost is still a pretty big hurdle IMO and I'm still not convinced it would pay off for me.
    "A man's character is his fate."

MRDS - you heathens...
    It's like a fiber optic, for the dark.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

MRDS - you heathens...
    I tried it, but I found it didn't work for me. Despite 3 months straight of daily dry work, I never found it any faster, instead considerably slower for me. Part of my problem was, I think, a different platform (M&P) which meant I was also trying to work in a new trigger, two M&Ps, a couple of thousand rounds, a bunch of Apex parts, and three grand later and I was back to square one - Brightly painted/fiber optic/tritium irons. A big bummer for me was I was really hoping that I could improve shooting with my corrective lens off (I am incredibly nearsighted). This turned out to be a total loss, dot washout, reflections, and dot brightness all played a factor, but ultimately it was harder to find the dot with glasses off than a bright fiber optic front sight or tritium dot.

I think if I had an unlimited budget and time I could have gotten what I wanted out of the MRDS platform, but it would have meant mounting MRDS to guns besides the striker fired guns they are more prevalent on.

Edit: So for me I'm going back to FO front sights, which I have long preferred on autopistols. I find green FOs to be one of those things that my brain just gets instantly and I'm able to pick up any gun with a green FO front sight and start doing precision work with it, essentially immediately. I agree that most low-light engagements have sufficient light to make FO almost as good as Tritium, more importantly, in bright environments I find FO to be vastly superior.

-Rob

User Tag List