Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Argument for fiber optics on a carry gun?

I carry TruGlo TFO on my self defense guns. They're big and bright in daylight and equally as bright at night. Best of both worlds.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    I carry TruGlo TFO on my self defense guns. They're big and bright in daylight and equally as bright at night. Best of both worlds.
    They aren't durable sights, and most consider them junk.

You can't replace the FO element. Once it gets dinged/dull, or just falls out (which does happen), you have to replace the whole sight.

Plus, the front sight is too wide compared to the rear notch width.

It's an interesting idea with a terrible execution.

Yea, I love the idea of TruGlo TFO's, but their execution is lacking.
    If you have separate carry and training guns they might work out OK, but they just don't hold up to training and carry.

I have a set of FO's coming for one of my S&W Shields that I plan on testing against my Shield with Ameriglo ProGlo's (HD look alikes) under varying conditions.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I kicked this very idea around over the last week or so. Decided to use FO on my new M9A1 compact instead of sending it to tooltech for tritium vials. Gonna send it to either WC or AGW. I'm not concerned with the FO holding up with the conversions they do. The FO I've seen break have been the really thin rods in sights that have large amounts of the FO rod exposed. I don't think a sight like this:
    http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-C...ctinfo/634FOG/

Or this:
    http://www.hivizsights.com/products/...ck/gl2007.html

will have durability issues.

I've used/use the Hiviz sights and never had any issues.

These are the type of FO sights I've seen have issues with the rod breaking (not picking on Dawson, just the style):
    www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Dawson-Fiber-Front-Sight-for-Springfield-180-P734.aspx

The most common breakage issue I've seen with the Dawson type sights is when they snag on a barricade/port during recoil.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

What happens when resin in the resin overmolded HiViz sights gets scratched up? Is the overmolded part replaceable? Is the fiber?

When I didn't know jack about jack I put the Tru-Glo TFO's on my first pistol, a USP. For me, the rear sights overpowered the front. I ended up getting rid of them before they had a chance to break.

For a carry gun that mostly sits in a holster, I wouldn't really be as concerned with breakage, but I prefer the piece of mind of Tritium. Having never been in a gunfight, if I HAVE TO draw, I don't want draw and get hung up thinking "kitten, where's the fiber" when I should be thinking "move move move move". Whenever I've drawn in competition with a broken fiber, I've always had a brain fart because something's different.

My preference is HD or FO sights. With something like my Beretta 92A1, with FO sights as primary, the terrific Crimson Trace military model laser grips, a light in my pocket and the option of an X300 on the rail, I wouldn't worry a bit about not having tritium.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have Truglos TFOs on 4 pistols. All Glocks. 2 are carry and 2 are for USPSA competion. None have broke or dulled at all. Comp guns get a lot of use. Constantly in/out of holster with no snags. Nice and bright for fast pickup and good for my accuracy.

Interested in the discussion.

Based partly on information I read on pistol-forum.com, I purchased a set of Trijicon HD sights last year for my pistol.

I've been very happy with them. I find the Yellow front is easy to pick up at the range. Someone also mentioned the Yellow was also good for color blind people like me, but I'm not 100% sure about that. Be curious if anyone knows.

At my first USPSA-style noob orientation class last Saturday, I was really surprised how bright they were, looking into the shooting bay, even in mid day.

I have run fiber fronts on my carry guns for a couple years now. I just see them better and prefer the thinner post with fiber at the top. So far no issues with breakage.
    "A man's character is his fate."

MRDS - you heathens...
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

User Tag List