Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Argument for fiber optics on a carry gun?

It's been awhile since I shot a pistol with a brass or gold bead, I recall a couple of examples very too shiny in high noon sunlight in the open, they were the old school solution for guys who worked nights back in the day before tritium sights.

Advantage goes to gold IMHO, since brass will tarnish.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Site Supporter
    Hooptown,

I was aware the Vogel is said to run FO on his duty gun as well. My point was that an FO may be fine for games but I am going to piggyback on the experience of others re real work deployment.

"For me, my narrow lane of expeience shooting in darkened indoor conditions in classes, training and dabbling in USPSA/IDPA coupled with Chuck Haggard's and other extremely expierinced officers in urabn enviroments, has me still using a tritium front and rear sight set up for defensive purposes out in the world."

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    It's been awhile since I shot a pistol with a brass or gold bead, I recall a couple of examples very too shiny in high noon sunlight in the open, they were the old school solution for guys who worked nights back in the day before tritium sights.

Around 1988 a 'smith in Millington, TN was replacing the red plastic inserts on S&W front sights with gold sourced from pawn shop jewelry.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I recently installed a 10-8 .125 Front FO and .156 rear on my G26. I took the gun to a MDFI YSINTG course last Saturday and the FO was wicked bright.

I'm still comparing it to my Ameriglo Spartan Tactical set on my 19.

FWIW, about 1/3 of the class had Trijicon HDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post

My biggest complaint about the current S&W revolver bead sights made by SDM is the bead is smashed too much, like a piece of fiber optic that someone left too long under heat. Shot that sight in USPSA for a bit on my 627 and agree on it being too shiny sometimes. Also doesn't fit the standard notch on the adjustable sight well. The top of the bead is ok, but the bottom half is obscured by the leaf resulting in the shooter having to bury the dot.

A smaller bead with sharper, defined edges should do a lot better, imo.

gonna put a set of dawson chargers on one of G-19's and compare them against my "standard" sights orange t-cap front and defoor rear. See what is better for me. I think the FO will win for me as now that I am retired i dont have to go into dark places anymore.

Site Supporter
    I am gravitating toward fiber optic fronts and plain black rears as my eyes age I appreciate the FO front more and more.

gonna see show the Dawson Charger sights do for me compared to my normal orange t-cap front and defoor rear.

I had FO on my "walk the dog gun" (S&W Bodyguard). I had the green front and left the rear stock (all black). Late one evening while I was in the front yard with the dog (before bed bathroom break), I pulled the pistol to see if I could see the sights using only the streetlight (new LED across the street). No luck. Couldn't see it at all.

Switched to Ashley Xpress sights for the tritium at that point.

User Tag List