Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Argument for fiber optics on a carry gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Truglo - nice sights BUT using them them on a IPDA gun, they weren't. Drew the gun and guess what - there was no fiber optic in the front sight. Just a hole. It vanished into the void.

No weird usage except drawing and shooting at dangerous cardboard bad guys.
    If the FO fell out cant you still use the FS? Now I have had my black FS blend in with the black targets before.

Site Supporter
    Sure, the frame of the front sight was there. So that's a backup. It's like if your Eotech fails and you use the frame as a big old aperture sight. But why have the fiber optic in the first place? I've heard others say that is not a rare occurrence with that sight.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    I installed Warren/Sevigny FO sights on my carry gun last night to reevaluate my preference for tritium. If they get me killed on the street, I blame the participants in this thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2
    Josh, care to share your experiences, data points, and general thoughts nine months later?

I don't see that Jody ever took the plunge, but for anyone that did, your feedback is welcome, too.

Thanks in advance.

I did a review on three different Ameriglo sights:

http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2015/03/am...dot-glock.html

I have a friend who carried a fiber front sight for a while and had issue with it breaking during training so he stopped carrying it.

HDs seem to be the way to go.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I did a review on three different Ameriglo sights:

http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2015/03/am...dot-glock.html

I have a friend who carried a fiber front sight for a while and had issue with it breaking during training so he stopped carrying it.

HDs seem to be the way to go.
    Thanks VDM. I frequent your blog, often, all good stuff.

I have a Pro i-dot front on an MP9 (10-8 rear), and really like it. I have used HD's on an MP45 (now gone), but I don't like 3-dot sets, nor their rear sight in general, but I do like the HD fronts. I have 10-8 .156 rears on 3 glocks (10-8 tritium fronts painted orange) and my SIRT, and prefer their rear sights over all others. Problem with HD's is, Trijicon won't just sell the front, last I checked, and I hate spending $130 on a sight set only to spend $50 more on a 10-8 rear.

Now I'm trying to outfit my VP9, and the pickings are slim. No I-dots, and HD's are only sold in sets. I have a FO on a Wilson, and so far so good, but I don't carry it. I do carry the VP9 now, and my thought was, is, to put a 10-8 FO front on the VP9 while I continue to wait for their .156 rears to come back in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post

I have a Pro i-dot front on an MP9 (10-8 rear), and really like it. I have used HD's on an MP45 (now gone), but I don't like 3-dot sets, nor their rear sight in general, but I do like the HD fronts. I have 10-8 .156 rears on 3 glocks (10-8 tritium fronts painted orange) and my SIRT, and prefer their rear sights over all others. Problem with HD's is, Trijicon won't just sell the front, last I checked, and I hate spending $130 on a sight set only to spend $50 more on a 10-8 rear.

Now I'm trying to outfit my VP9, and the pickings are slim. No I-dots, and HD's are only sold in sets. I have a FO on a Wilson, and so far so good, but I don't carry it. I do carry the VP9 now, and my thought was, is, to put a 10-8 FO front on the VP9 while I continue to wait for their .156 rears to come back in stock.
    I think if you buy a good set of fiber optics it isnt a huge deal on a carry gun that spends the majority of its time in a holster. Worst case scenario the fiber breaks and you have a black on black set up... not the end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post

Thanks for checking it out!

Not that I buy from OpticsPlanets but I assume these are just the front sights (or at least they advertise them as such) - http://www.opticsplanet.com/trijicon...t-outline.html

I would love a type of combo where you have the front sight HD's and rear sight is a single dot or like (like XS sights) or possibly completely flat...
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Thanks for checking it out!

Not that I buy from OpticsPlanets but I assume these are just the front sights (or at least they advertise them as such) - http://www.opticsplanet.com/trijicon...t-outline.html

I would love a type of combo where you have the front sight HD's and rear sight is a single dot or like (like XS sights) or possibly completely flat...
    I wonder how a blacked out rear would work with the hd front...

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I wonder how a blacked out rear would work with the hd front...
    I tried the HD's on the front and the defoor rears, you couldn't use them since the front sight becomes wider than the rear notch allows. I just mocked it up when I was changing sights, never shot with them. I mean, I'm sure you could use it but precision shooting may be difficult at distance.

I don't know what size rear notch is required to allow the use of an HD front sight.
    VDMSR.com

I tried the HD's on the front and the defoor rears, you couldn't use them since the front sight becomes wider than the rear notch allows. I just mocked it up when I was changing sights, never shot with them. I mean, I'm sure you could use it but precision shooting may be difficult at distance.

I don't know what size rear notch is required to allow the use of an HD front sight.
    there is a video where larry vickers talks about how he uses a HD front and a black out rear.

Video link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stEHOqRnrLE

User Tag List